Monday: Cubs 4, Rockies 0

April 13, 2009 | 5:22 pm | 8

Turning Point

Ubaldo Jimenez,was called for a balk while pitching to Kosuke Fudodome in the fourth with the Cubs leading 2-0 and then walked him. Reliever Glendon Rusch gave up a run-scoring single to make it 3-0 on a day the Rockies were held to one single.

At the Plate

The Rockies were held hitless for 6 2/3 innings before a single by Garrett Atkins, their only hit of the game. The Rockies struck out 12 times, including three by Dexter Fowler and two by Atkins. Derrek Lee, who entered the game 2-for-25, went 2-for-3 with two walks. He doubled in the third and singled home a run in the fourth.

On the Mound
Jimenez tied his career-high with six walks and threw 104 pitches, just 55 strikes in 3 2/3 innings. He walked three batters in the second, including Koyie Hill with one out and the bases loaded and walked pitcher Ted Lilly after Hill opened the fourth with a single. Lilly held the Rockies hitless for 6 2/3 innings and after giving up a single to Garrett Atkins and walking Seth Smith, left. Angel Guzman got Troy Tulowitzki, the only batter he faced, to fly out. Aaron Heilman and closer Kevin Gregg each walked a batter as they polished off the Rockies in the eighth and ninth.

Numbers Game

9 walks allowed by the Rockies’ pitchers, including an intentional one by Rusch, which equals the total number of walks they allowed in the three-game series with the Phillies over the weekend. One of the walks in that series also was intentional.

He said it

“Ubaldo gave it everything he had; His hands were ice cold. My mother used to tell me, ‘Cold hands, warm heart.’ I don’t know how that played out today,” manager Clint Hurdle on RHP Ubaldo Jimenez.

• Darious | April 13, 2009 | 5:30 pm

Well guys, here’s to turning the page and getting ready for Wednesday’s game. I’ve heard it said that you can count on winning 50 games fairly comfortable and losing 50 games fairly comfortable, it’s what you do in the other 50 or so games that will determine your season. This was definitely a game dominated by the Cubs. The score should’ve been worse to be honest. Hopefully Marquis can answer the bell and we can get a little hitting and come away with a split!

• Orange and Blue Horseshoe | April 13, 2009 | 8:32 pm

Team did not seem to be mentally into the game today. Just flat.

Although it’s “one game at a time” I hope the team is ready to go Friday, when they play the first of 19 straight games within the division, the longest consecutive stretch of games within the division all season. If the Rockies are going to stay in the race into the summer they need to show that they can win within the division during those 19 games and it all starts Friday against the Dodgers.

• Tony Benjamin | April 13, 2009 | 9:54 pm

O&B Horseshoe,
    I agree, the Rockies did indeed appear flat.
    There was a brief glmmer of hope — then Tullo doesn’t come through. But he will.
    ‘Tis a long season. Baseball, I think, is a game of skill and mentality. Get the heads in the game, guys, and you’ll win.
    Can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m pulling for you. Whether you’re up of down.
    Tony B.

• ian olson | April 14, 2009 | 9:02 am

Anti Baker

I know the conditions were terrible, but it seems like whenever Baker plays second he gives away a run. I wish they’d just put Barmes there and leave hime alone. They have enough bats (Barmes isn’t a slouch) to get the job done. Think defense first sometimes.

I wish they’d trade Baker or just use him as a pinch hitter. Sure he can hit, but it’s not worth shoe horning him somewhere in the field just so he might hit a home run (that would probably just even out the unearned run he caused earlier).

• Darious | April 14, 2009 | 10:08 am

I agree Ian, they need to trade Baker. Quintanilla can’t even get in a game rt now. They sacrifice so much defense with Baker in the lineup. He clearly doesn’t have a niche with this team, trade him and get something. Or we can just lose him like we did Koshansky.

• Wayne | April 14, 2009 | 3:12 pm

Darious

The saying is “everyone wins 60 and everyone loses 60, it’s what you do with the other 42 that matters.”

An old saying, but one of my favorites in baseball. I always try to grasp that concept, trying to figure out which 42 it is.

I think this season, for the Rockies, those 42 have already started.

Love the post and all of your responses and questions. Can’t go a day without it.

GO ROX

• Darious | April 14, 2009 | 4:38 pm

I personally think the rox are 1-2 in those other 42 games then. Opening day, the second game against AZ, and the last game against Philly. The other 4 games the rox have split with comfortable wins and games they didn’t have their best effort.
    I am new to this site, but definitely not new to being a Rox fan. Good to talk to everybody about baseball and the Rox.

• Jack Etkin | April 14, 2009 | 4:50 pm

One point to be made about Baker. If pinch-hitting, which is the hardest job in the game, is his best role on the team, he’s got to play occasionally just to get some at-bats to have some chance to succeed coming off the bench. I’m in no way defending his defense, just saying he’s prone to striking out when playing with any regularity _ and that comes with having power _ and that will only increase if he strictly comes off the bench. Two years ago, Baker had a mere 144 at-bats in a full season, and that’s hardly enough for any pinch hitter to have a decent chance of beating the odds, which by definition are stacked highly against him.