Cook Sees Foot Specialst

August 10, 2009 | 5:26 pm | 5

Pitcher Aaron Cook, who is suffering from a sprained right big toe, was examined Monday by Dr. John Shank, a foot and ankle specialist with the Steadman Hawkins Clinic in the Denver area.

Cook remains on course to start Saturday at Florida. He had been scheduled to take the mound Tuesday against the Pirates, but that start was pushed back four days so Cook didn’t aggravate the injury and would have more time for the soreness to quiet down.

Trainer Keith Dugger said Shank confirmed the diagnosis of a small sprain and some inflammation in the joint of Cook’s right big toe. Cook, who aggravated his ongoing toe problem making a catch while backing up third base in his last start Wednesday at Philadelphia, is wearing stiff insoles to alleviate the discomfort.

Cook threw on flat ground with Dugger up to a distance of 120 feet and had no problem with his toe. Dugger said the big test for Cook will come Thursday when he throws a bullpen session.

• Dustin | August 10, 2009 | 6:18 pm

we need cook 100%. Starting pitching has been slacking a little bit recently.

• Drew S. | August 10, 2009 | 9:02 pm

I’d sit him for his next start. I’d much rather lose him for one game than lose him late in the stretch run

• Christopher Morton | August 10, 2009 | 10:44 pm

With a guy you are counting on not just this year but for the future, you play it safe. If I am not mistaken, wasn’t it a toe injury that spelled the end for the great Bob Gibson? Lets make sure the toe is good and he is ready to be our ace down the stretch. The Pirates are a major league team, but if you are going to throw Chacin against someone, better for it to be them than the Marlins.

One question for the writers: Adam Eaton has done a very good job down here in Colorado Springs. He looks a lot better (granted its AAA) than he has the last three years (more like the Eaton of S.D.). I know he is not on the 40, but given the issues with Hammel, Cook’s toe and Marquis’s finger, have they considered bringing up a vet like him to help in this stretch? As much as Jiminez and Morales were the bright spots in 07 it was also vets like Redman who came on to fill in as well. Just wondering if O’Dowd and Tracy are thinking about some vetern alternatives for the rotation.

• robba | August 11, 2009 | 11:12 am

Christopher,

I think you may be thinking of Dizzy Dean, whose toe was broken by a line drive off the bat of Earl Averill. He wouldn’t let it heal, and he was never the same. I don’t remember Gibson having a toe injury, although he got several outs after having his leg broken by a Roberto Clemente line drive in 1967. Gibson was the best I ever saw. Ruthlessly competitive.

• Christopher Morton | August 11, 2009 | 2:36 pm

Thanks Robba. Bew it was a Cardinal great. I grew up a Cardinals fan listening to KMOX late at night on our family radio (then the Rocks were born). Gibson wwas the greatest, even thoguh I have only watched him pitch on ESPN Classic. Guess I should hope that Cook doesnt go the way of Dizzy.