Rockies Agree with Matzek

August 17, 2009 | 9:55 pm | 30

The Colorado Rockies came up to the deadline, and then got the deal done with their top draft pick, high school lefthander Tyler Matzek.

The Rockies agreed to a signing bonus of $3.9 million, insidetherockies.com learned, more than double the $1.8 million recommend by Major League Baseball for the No. 11 pick in the draft.
Matzek initially sought a big-league contract, but the Rockies declined.

It is the largest signing bonus in franchise history. The previous record was $3.25 million given to pitcher Greg Reynolds, the second overall pick in the 2006 draft.

With the signing of Matzek, the Rockies signed each of their top 30 selections in the June draft, and 40 of 52 overall.

Matzek had a scholarship to Oregon, and was in Eugene during the weekend, but did not attend classes on Monday, which allowed him to remain eligible to sign.

As of 10 p.m., MDT on Monday night teams lost the rights to drafted players they did not sign.

Matzek, who attended Capistrano Valley High School in Mission Viejo, Ca., has a fastball that ranges from 90 to 94 miles per hour, and a sharp breaking curveball.

Matzek was 13-1 with a 0.97 earned-run average in 15 games his senior year at Capistrano Valley and went 3-0 with a 0.00 ERA in the CIF playoffs, leading Capistrano Valley to the CIF title.

• Townie | August 17, 2009 | 9:59 pm

All I can say is WOW.

And I hope he’s worth all the hype and cash!

• Reader f/k/a Mike | August 17, 2009 | 9:59 pm

No major league deal? That’s pretty huge.

• Chris | August 17, 2009 | 10:00 pm

Nice scoop Cowboy

• WIll | August 17, 2009 | 10:01 pm

YES! YES! YES!

• Dylan M. | August 17, 2009 | 10:01 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I told you guys.

• Matt | August 17, 2009 | 10:02 pm

EPIC WIN!

• Jeff | August 17, 2009 | 10:06 pm

Awesome.

• RockiesFan4life | August 17, 2009 | 10:07 pm

hats off to the front office for getting this done!
    Welcome aboard Tyler! hope to see you i Denver soon!

• James | August 17, 2009 | 10:08 pm

Wow, now I love inside the Rockies. I apologize before. You guys broke the story. Congrats! and Congrats Tyler and Dan O Dowd.

• Dylan M. | August 17, 2009 | 10:09 pm

Yes, great work Tracy. Better work O’Dowd. Even better Monforts.

• Jim | August 17, 2009 | 10:09 pm

This is a big signing for the Rockies! Respect bros Monfort. Although this gives them another 15 years of an excuse not to spend on developed free agent talent. Oh well. I’ll just be happy now and hope Tyler lives up to the $4 million.

• Elliot | August 17, 2009 | 10:10 pm

And the Rockies just suprised a lot of experts who said this kid was unsignable.

• Kyle | August 17, 2009 | 10:11 pm

Thanks for the info Tracy. I popped on here to see your insights and saw this as the header. I think the $3-4 range is OK, but now he has to go out and prove it.

Tracy/ jack-

Where does he start his career at now? Modesto? Ashville? Casper?

If he starts in Casper, I may take a ride up I-25 to see him, though I doubt that is where he goes.

• Philip | August 17, 2009 | 10:12 pm

To the Rockies fans that say the Rockies are tightwads you should shut your mouth. I would think prudent is more like it. They showed they will step up when they feel it is something worth stepping up for. They have been burned by free agents in the past and have grown their own players. Tyler has the chance to be the next homegrown and they are paying for the chance. It will be interesting to look 3 years down the road and see where this draft ranks.

Wow!!!!! I had my doubts but my hats off to management.

Now that this is done let the Rocks start their next big streak and catch the Dodgers.

• James | August 17, 2009 | 10:17 pm

I know most people considered him best left hander in draft. Any chance he gets to Colorado Springs this year. Would love to see him pitch in Colorado.

• Ron | August 17, 2009 | 10:20 pm

Wow…this kid can toss. Well done.

• Dr. Christopher Morton | August 17, 2009 | 10:22 pm

A lot of you have already said it, but Wow and kudos to the Monfort/O’Dowd team on this one. It may take another cash call for the ownership group for this year but by avoiding going over $4 mill, by avoiding having to give the kid a big league deal, and by spending money now that in 3 or 4 years could give you results you would have to $5mill per year for all shows signs that this is a well run, prudent and forward thinking organization. The Rockies cannot get in bidding wars for great free agents, but if the Wheelers, Matzek’s, Friedrichs of their drafts hit, then you don’t have to. Add to this clever quality pick-ups the past few years – Hammel, De La Rosa (always great talent and O’Dowd thought his guys could get it out of him), and now our two this season bullpen arms, and you are rolling out a team that is competitive and has a chance to compete year in and year out. That is all we can ask out of our team’s owners and executive staff. I am very excited for the rest of the season and the future!

Great work Tracy and the Inside team.

Go Rocks, sweep the Nats!

• Rory | August 17, 2009 | 10:27 pm

Y-E-S. YES.

• Reader f/k/a Mike | August 17, 2009 | 10:29 pm

No chance he’ll be on the Springs this year unless he visits the area and they take him to the course at the Broadmoor or something.

I’d be surprised if at this point he even joins Casper. He probably hasn’t thrown competitively in a 2-3 months, and they don’t have much of a season left.

Not sure where he’d go next year. Probably Ashville, as otherwise he’d have to wait until late June to join the short-season teams.

• Tracy Ringolsby | August 17, 2009 | 10:30 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if he debuts in the Instructional League. Minor league seasons end at the end of August, and I don’t see the Rockies rushing him to get one or two starts.

They might send him to Capser or Tri-City to workout and get into the environment but he hasn’t pitched this summer so you don’t want to rush him.

• Chris B. | August 17, 2009 | 10:37 pm

Impressed with COL brass for doing their homework & to the Monforts for being willing to back it up with the cash. HS arms are always somewhat of a gamble, but a lefty like that seems too good to pass up. A great draft, one already solid with Wheeler & co. already signing, was made SOLID by the Matzek signing.

O’Dowd seems like he’s going to be the club’s most valuable free agent this off-season.

Mr. Ringolsby, great job on breaking this. Will we see Matzek pitching in Casper this year?

• Dustin | August 18, 2009 | 4:40 am

Wow. Credit to front office. This organization is going to be a force in the nl for some time. Tulo, cargo, fowler, friedrich, matzek, chacin, wheeler, the list goes on and on with the young talent this organization has. Exciting to watch

• Jack | August 18, 2009 | 6:15 am

Sweet!!

Great job O’Dowd.

• Trip | August 18, 2009 | 8:04 am

Well, I can certainly understand everyone’s excitement, but realistically, it will be at least 2-3 years before he makes it up to the majors, maybe longer, maybe he never does. Let’s remember this is a kid fresh out of high school. He’s what, 18 or 19 years old? He projects well, but so have many others that never made it.

And I look at the amount of money spent on untested players and just go Wow. I have to wonder if at some time in the future MLB puts a cap on how much a drafted player can be paid? Doesn’t football have a hard limit on how much each team can spend for their entire draft class?

Having said all that, I’m happy the Monforts did step up to the plate and sign their top draft pick, and I hope Tyler matches the expectations while in a Rockies uniform.

• Agbayani | August 18, 2009 | 8:08 am

Really, really good news. I was starting to doubt the Rockies’ commitment to signing him, thinking that they may have taken on flyer on Matzek with the expectation that they’d move up in next year’s draft.

But it was, apparently, all the usual posturing and bluffing.

This is exactly what they need to do to replenish the talent stock in the minors. I’d imagine Matzek will start at Casper next year, but quickly move to Asheville if he’s as good as advertised.

• Derrek | August 18, 2009 | 12:29 pm

What a sign!! The Rox have to be thinking they got a hell of a deal too considering the rumor was saying he wanted 7 plus million. I was pretty hard on the Rox for the Reynolds pick and what I considered to be a low ceiling college guy with a low risk on the signability front. Well this was the total opposite of Reynolds. Matzek projects high and was a huge question mark on signability. KUDOS to the Rox. He is definitely a ways off from the big leagues but I can’t wait til next year and see how he handles professional baseball.

• Robert | August 18, 2009 | 8:13 pm

People have said “wow” a lot here. And that’s all I can say. WOW. This Rockies team has incredible pitching depth! Chacin, Rodgers, G. Smith, Reynolds, Deduno, Friedrich, Billings, Frazier, Nicasio, Hynich, Riorden and NOW Meztek. The Rockies might have two complete major league rotations in thier system.

• Jane | September 5, 2009 | 11:01 pm

A lot of cash for a kid who has proved nothing at a higher level. So where is Matzek now?

• Tracy Ringolsby | September 6, 2009 | 2:17 pm

He is working out in Casper, getting in shape for the Arizona Instructional League, which was the plan all along.

• Brett | December 28, 2009 | 3:25 pm

What’s the report of Matzek in the Arizona Fall League? Any word about where he will play next year?