Giambi to Join Rockies at Triple-A

August 22, 2009 | 6:36 pm | 22

The Rockies would like to add a veteran left-handed bat to their bench for September.

Jason Giambi will get the opportunity to claim that role. Giambi is ready to join Triple-A Colorado Springs where he will be given regular at-bats with the idea of being activated by the Rockies when the active rosters expand to 40 players on Sept. 1.

Giambi, 38, a former AL MVP with Oakland, was released by Oakland on Aug. 7 after hitting .193 in 83 games for the A’s. He reached the 400 home run plateau earlier in the season.

Originally signed by the A’s, Giambi had gone to the Yankees as a free agent, and played in New York for seven years before returning to Oakland this year.

Earlier in the season the Rockies attempted to address the veteran-off-the-bench role with Tony Clark, who was released by Arizona. Clark, however, balked at reporting to Triple-A Colorado Springs.

• Matthew | August 22, 2009 | 7:24 pm

Interesting.

• Karl | August 22, 2009 | 10:49 pm

Knock on wood, but he would not be eligible for the postseason roster then correct? I thought you have to be on the active 25 man roster on the 31st of August.

• Brian H | August 22, 2009 | 11:23 pm

Russ Ortiz just signed, too. Is he that fifth starter we need in place of Cook?

• Marcus | August 22, 2009 | 11:26 pm

I love this pick up!! Giambi will be great off the bench!!!

• Eric | August 23, 2009 | 4:11 am

I know he has apologized publicly and deserves credit for it, but I don’t want to cheer for a known PEDer. Herges and now Giambi should not be a part of this team.

• blwatso | August 23, 2009 | 7:42 am

I am amazed the Rockies would lower the standards by adding Giambi.

• Curt in Florida | August 23, 2009 | 9:21 am

Look, Giambi is a no-lose, no-brainer proposition. Let him go down to the Springs and loosen up and once he is recalled on 9/1 if he comes off the bench and gets an occasional hit or even wins a game with a pinch hit, he’ll pay for his (cheap) salary. His average was very poor with Oakland but he did hit 11 homers. It’s worth the shot. Or, alternatively, Tracy could send Omar Q. up to pinch hit in September.

• Dave | August 23, 2009 | 9:26 am

OUCH, Curt just convinced me… Quintanilla or Giambi in the pinch hit?

• Al | August 23, 2009 | 10:23 am

Curt and Dave:
    There is so much more involved than going up to pinch hit. How will he fit in with the younger guys? Did he really work well with Holliday in Oakland? Could Ny & Oakland know something we don’t.

• Jordan | August 23, 2009 | 10:50 am

I was surprised when the SF Chronicle broke this story. The Rockies need another bat on the bench, particularly a lefthanded one because often times they are left with just Q and almost anyone would give the team a greater chance of a hit than him. But Giambi could negatively affect team chemistry, maybe not to the degree Hurdle was hurting team chemistry at the beginning of the year but he still could cause problems. Tony Clark would have been a much better addition, both in terms of production and chemistry.

• Brian H | August 23, 2009 | 11:46 am

This is also Coors.

This is not the Coliseum. Much better park for a hitter. I see it as a no-lose situation – as far as chemistry goes, I don’t think it will impact it. But, adding anyone brings in some strange variables.

• Jack | August 23, 2009 | 12:04 pm

I don’t understand this to be honest.

If we want an extra bat why didn’t we bring up Muton?

• Townie | August 23, 2009 | 12:29 pm

Giambi is not getting a guaranteed major league contract.

There’s no guarantee he’s even going to be recalled on September 1st if he doesn’t show anything in the minors.

How is Giambi going to hurt the “team chemistry” or mess up the young guys? He knows he’s not going to play first base everyday. At this point, I’d say he’d just be excited for the opportunity.

How is Tony Clark better for team chemistry when he balked at tuning up in the minors? At least Giambi is willing and realistic enough to know he can’t come in cold to help the team.

Seriously, Rockies management is doing everything they can to plug any little perceived hole on the team. It may not work with Giambi, I’d say the odds are 50/50 he does anything meaningful, but what’s it hurt to try? He’ll be a Rockie 10 days at the least and 2 months at the most. I don’t think he can set the team back in that short a time.

• Reader f/k/a Mike | August 23, 2009 | 1:34 pm

I understand your pov to a degree–it’s uncomfortable–but this is the way baseball and the Rockies are going.

You also need to add Rincon and Betancourt to your list. (There’s enough of these guys around that it gets complicated.)

• Marc | August 23, 2009 | 3:11 pm

On the surface I’m not sure I like this but will be more than happy to trust O’Dowd and Tracy’s judgement.
    At the very least, they should be credited for looking at all options in an effort to make this team better

• Curt in Florida | August 23, 2009 | 3:44 pm

Winning is the tonic for all chemistry problems, real or imagined.

• Agbayani | August 23, 2009 | 4:37 pm

Was Betancourt a juicer too? I must’ve missed that.

I think Curt has the key point here: much as I don’t like Giambi, much as I don’t really want him around, much as I don’t see him having any chance of making a significant impact …

… he can still deliver the late-inning pinch hit fly ball that Quintanilla has no hope of delivering.

As for Russ Ortiz: the concept is fine, the subject is poor. Isn’t there some Elmer Dessens kicking around? In fact, isn’t the actual Elmer Dessens kicking around?

• JT | August 23, 2009 | 9:53 pm

Tracy,
    When will he be in Colorado Springs playing. How was Ortiz available tonight, but not Giambi?

• Tracy Ringolsby | August 23, 2009 | 10:22 pm

Ortiz had reached final agreement and got all details worked out. They are still trying to finalize a few issues with Giambi.

• Karl | August 25, 2009 | 6:41 am

How did Giambi do last night in the Springs?

• Anonymous | October 2, 2009 | 12:43 am

Colorado rockies vs Philidelphia Philies

Play off game one vs game two

world series playoff vs world series

• Anonymous | October 2, 2009 | 12:47 am

Play off world series vs Playoff world series

Colorado rockies vs Philidelphia Philies