Rockies 6, Giants 4 (14 innings)

August 25, 2009 | 12:24 am | 25

Turning point: Ryan Spilborghs hit a walk-off grand slam, the Rockies’ first extra-base hit after nine singles, with one out off Merkin Valdez. The Giants third pitcher of the inning, Valdez came on to face Spilborghs after Justin Miller gave up a single and two walks _ the second to pitcher Adam Eaton with the bases loaded _ to the three batters he faced.

At the plate: Spilborghs hit the first walk-off grand slam in Rockies history. He last homered June 29 at Los Angeles, ending a drought of 82 at-bats without a home run. …The walk-off homer was the first of Spilborgh’s career, and the grand slam was his second. The other was July 3, 2007, against Joe Smith of the Mets. …The Rockies scored their first two runs on bases-loaded walks _ the first to Todd Helton in the fifth, an unearned run because of third baseman Juan Uribe’s error, and the second to Eaton. …The Rockies left five runners on base in the ninth through the 11th innings, including three on third base. Closer Brian Wilson, who worked 2 1/3 innings and threw 42 pitches, came on to face Dexter Fowler and got him to ground into a fielder’s choice with one out and runners on first and second in the ninth and Clint Barmes struck out. Troy Tulowitzki singled, moving pinch runner Carlos Gonzalez from second to third but rounded first and was thrown out 9-3-6 after right fielder Nate Schierholtz’s throw was cut off. After an intentional walk, Spilborghs grounded into an inning-ending double play. Finally, in the 11th, the Rockies put runners on first and third with one out, but Wilson struck out Fowler and got Barmes to fly out. …Eugenio Velez, who went 3-for-7, tripled home two runs in the 14th after Eaton gave up a one-out triple to Edgar Renteria and walked Travis Ishikawa.

On the mound: Jason Marquis allowed six hits and one run in eight innings. He threw 122 pitches, his second-highest total of the season (he threw 125 pitches in 8 2/3 innings June 19 against Pittsburgh). Marquis has pitched seven or more innings in 15 of 25 starts. This was just the third time he has not figured in the decision. The Rockies are 17-8 in games started by Marquis…Five relievers followed Marquis to the mound and combined to pitch four scoreless innings before Eaton came on to pitch the 13th, loaded the bases with two out but escaped when third baseman Ian Stewart speared pitcher Brandon Medders’ line drive. Despite giving up three runs in the 14th, two on Velez’s triple and the third on Juan Uribe’s ground out following an intentional walk to Randy Winn, Eaton, who threw 55 pitches in two innings, earned his first win with the Rockies and became the first Rockies reliever to win a game since Franklin Morales on Aug. 2 at Cincinnati in a 6-4 victory in 11 innings. ..Giants starter Barry Zito allowed one unearned run and three singles in six innings, along with six of the 13 walks issued by the Giants.

Numbers game: 476 pitches thrown by the two teams, 241 by the Giants and 235 by the Rockies.

• Dan B. | August 25, 2009 | 12:40 am

Such a great win!! I can almost taste first place!!

• robba | August 25, 2009 | 12:58 am

Tracy was one move ahead of Boche all night. Nice job to have Herges still available first-up tomorrow. But give Street a day off…or else risk losing him from overwork.

• Dustin | August 25, 2009 | 1:31 am

are you feaking kidding me?

• Jeff | August 25, 2009 | 1:37 am

Wow. Wish I was there. Glad I watched it all. I’ll be tired tomorrow, but it’s well worth it.

• Townie | August 25, 2009 | 3:57 am

Is this a bad time to mention the Rockies need to work on their base running?

I’m sorry, I’ll just enjoy the win and the moment! These moments never get old, they just get better.

• Erik | August 25, 2009 | 6:54 am

They’re starting to show that ‘won’t quit/team of destiny’ attitude again. If that wasn’t as close to playoff baseball you can get in the regular season I don’t know what is.
    On ESPN.com Steve Phillips just made a prediction that “the Dodgers are going to end up winning the division.” Let’s hope his prediction is as lame as Kruk’s prediction that the Mets were a lock for the playoffs. I’d sure like to get a copy of that memo at ESPN telling all their people to never, ever give the Rockies any credit.

• C Thistle | August 25, 2009 | 8:10 am

Unbelievable win. This team reminds me of the 2007 team, only I think it has more talent.

Does anyone know what the umpires were upset about after the game?

• Steve N | August 25, 2009 | 8:23 am

What a win! Glad I stayed up to watch now. lol

Tracy wouldn’t divulge any details because he said he didn’t know all the facts at the time of the post game press conference, but anyone know why the umps talked to Tracy and Tulo right after the home plate celebration? The umps seemed quite upset at something.

Also, Funny moment during the press conference Tracy says, “you don’t even want to see what our fielding line-up was going to be if we made it to the 15th inning”. “Oh, you wanna know?”

(think this is what he said, please correct me if its wrong :) )

1B-Torealba
    2B-Q
    SS-Tulo
    3B-Atkins
    RF-Eaton
    CF-Spilly
    LF-Stewart
    C-Ianetta
    P-Herges

Hope Dexter can make a go of it today. He looked like he was in a lot of pain on the base paths after that foul ball off his knee. Good thing he didn’t have to run much.

• TJ in Phoenix | August 25, 2009 | 9:04 am

Steve N-I was wondering about that Tulo thing as well after the game.

Tracy or Jack, any insight?

Incredible game. I loved the crowd behind the post game set chanting “beat L-A”….

Go Rox!

• Reader f/k/a Mike | August 25, 2009 | 9:10 am

Is this a bad time to mention the Rockies need to work on their base running?

Is this referring to Tulo in the 10th? It’s part of their aggressive approach to baserunning. Sometimes they’re going to lose the gamble, but overall they’re on the positive side of the ledger and I think it’s an important part of their winning attitude.

As for the actual play, the 1B seemed closer to home plate than usual when he cut the throw. I wonder if that’s what got Tulo.

• Drew S. | August 25, 2009 | 9:20 am

An unbeleivable win that I still can’t beleive. Eaton should buy Spilly dinner for bailing him out (though you could say Spilly misplayed the ball on the Velez triple). Now its all about riding the momentum and getting good pitching from the from the back of the rotation.

• TJ in Phoenix | August 25, 2009 | 9:21 am

Reader f/k/a Mike: I was wondering about the argument with Tulo and the umps after the game. There’s a story on the Post that says something about the 2nd base ump insulting Torrealba because he (the ump) thought Torreabla was showing up the home plate umpire by framing pitches longer, taking longer to throw the ball back, etc. Also mentioned that the coaches were jawing about the strike zone during the game and also mentions the call when Tracy came out to argue that play in the top of 14 where Barmes missed that tag trying for the double play (Tracy argued the runner was out of the baseline).

Seems to me like it was just a bunch of small festering “things that happen during the game” that just added up. But (as Sam “mayday” Malone says…”that’s just one guy’s opinion”…

Go Rox!

• Tom | August 25, 2009 | 9:30 am

Did that remind anyone of the walk-off Helton hit against the Dodgers in 07 that ignited the run to the WS?

Oh man, now they gotta take 2 of 3 against LA then get out to SF this weekend to finish the beat-down.

• Will | August 25, 2009 | 9:57 am

The umps, particularly Angel Campos at home, were getting a lot of (well deserved, in my opinion) static from the Rockies during that game. The strike zone did not seem consistent at all from what I saw. I presume that the umpires were giving some static back after the game.

• William | August 25, 2009 | 10:38 am

I left in the middle of the 14th inning! I was too disgusted with the lack of situational hitting by the Rockies. Too many innings of stranding a runner at third led me to flee. Poor decision on my part!

• William | August 25, 2009 | 10:45 am

Was anybody at the game? I read the Denver Post’s account of it, and the writer wrote about a post-game argument between the Rockies’ coaches and the home plate umpire. Did anybody see that?

Anyway, I live in San Diego and I watched some of the game through the MLB Network and ESPN2. There was Spilborghs flying around the bases after he parked one over the RF fence.

Great win by the Rocks. Now they get the bums from Los Angeles and Mannywood.

• roxnsox | August 25, 2009 | 10:49 am

Yes! Mojo like ’07! This does indeed feel like the Helton homer of 9/18/07; although the current team is much less in need of a spark, it might have a similar effect. (Thank goodness for DVRs; I sped through the last 3 innings this morning early :-) Spilly sprinting around the bases had me laughing with delight . . . fantastic stuff. Just a little worried about the pen tonight.

• Brian H | August 25, 2009 | 11:08 am

Herges is available. I also believe Beimel is fresh. I can see Morales being worked as he only needed one out. We should be thankful that Marquis went for 8 innings!

• robba | August 25, 2009 | 11:13 am

Sure am curious about the post-game confrontation with the umpires. Does anyone know whether this crew is still here for the Dodger series?

• SDcat | August 25, 2009 | 11:29 am

William said:

Great win by the Rocks. Now they get the bums from Los Angeles and Mannywood.

Hey William…I’m in San Diego as well…Just curious whereabouts you are?

• Will | August 25, 2009 | 11:56 am

William, I was at the park and stayed to the end, but I was in the pavilion right next to the fountains. I didn’t see anything about the post-game umpire fracas until I read about it this morning.

I was tempted to leave, too. I figured with the 10,000 stranded runners in the previous innings, and the 3 run lead that the Giants had, the Rockies were toast. And then when Dex pulled up lame after getting hit by the foul ball, I was sure that there was no way to get a ball in play and have him score. Eaton drawing that bases loaded walk was an enormous blessing. When Spilly hit the slam, it was pandemonium, and I couldn’t see anything going on beyond the mosh-pit at home.

That was easily the most exciting ball game I’ve ever been to, including the 2007 NLCS clincher. It’s right up there with the 2007 tiebreaker with the Padres, which I had to watch on TV.

• Al | August 25, 2009 | 12:07 pm
  • Karl | August 25, 2009 | 1:28 pm

Anything more on Fowler’s knee? Seems it would normall effect other teams i.e. being pretty depleted in CF right now with he and CarGo. But glad to have Spilly and Smith able to step in for a couple of games. Perhaps the stitch is ok by thursday for CarGo and the same goes for Fowler hopefully.

• Robb | August 25, 2009 | 1:43 pm

Tonight’s game sets up for a let down. Emotional win last night, extra innings, Dodgers rested, Hammel on the mound. If they can somehow pull it off nobody can question their fortitude any longer. We need at least 6 from Hammel to rest the pen.

• Doctor Christopher | August 25, 2009 | 4:34 pm

I hate to admit this to fellow Rcokies/baseball fans, but…I turned it off when Valez scored. The Rockies had frustrated me all night and then to lose the game (in my defense, I was taking care of a sick kid on the coach and the wife told me to get to bed). It wasn’t until I got home and flipped on IR that I saw we won! Wow, do I feel silly. Just set the DVR to catch the DoublePlay on FSN.

Now the bad news – Tulo just blew it. You don’t get aggressive when your run does not matter! You watch that throw from RF, you make sure it either goes through or is cut off. His brain shut down! Now, its awesome we won, but think of the imapact of not getting it done that inning – we use up the bullpen, Fowler ends up fouling it off his knee when he should have been in bed by then. CarGo had to hit which may cause issues with his hand. Look, Tulo is the team MVP and should be #2 in the NL behind Albert, but you can’t do that. A game like that can kill the pennet chase, since we are already sending our #5 and an injury fill-in the first two games of this set with teh Dodgers.

Then again, this team has been great everyday since June 3 – and if anyone can overcome Dex and Cookie on the DL, CarGo going with a stich, and a very tired ballclub (see last Friday), then this is the team.

Lets Go Rockies!