Rincon returns to Rockies bullpen

August 26, 2009 | 1:44 pm | 14

The Rockies are continuing to juggle their pitching staff in an effort to deal with the loss of starting pitcher Aaron Cook to the disabled list last Friday, and back-to-back extra-inning games on Monday and Tuesday.

Josh Fogg will start Wednesday’s game against the Dodgers, and with Adam Eaton optioned to Triple-A Colorado Springs on Tuesday, that leaves the Rockies with a need for an extra arm to back up Fogg.

Juan Rincon got the call. He was activated from the disabled list, and recalled from his rehab assignment at Triple-A Colorado Springs. Rincon had a 1.56 ERA in 14 relief appearances with the SkySox.

He has pitched with both the Tigers and Rockies this year.

To create a spot for Rincon, the Rockies will designate outfielder Matt Murton for assignment off the major-league roster. Murton was called up on Tuesday to add depth in light of the loss of Dexter Fowler to the disabled list, and limitations faced by Carlos Gonzalez because of a puncture wound in his left hand.

Gonzalez has been limited since Sunday. He could return to the lineup as early as Thursday.

• Jim | August 26, 2009 | 2:10 pm

Tracy if they option Murton back to AAA there is normaly a ten day period before they can be recalled, baring injury. Will they be able to recall him on Sept 1 or will they have to wait the ten days?

• Seidle | August 26, 2009 | 3:28 pm

Is that 1.56 ERA with Colorado Springs? because he was almost at 7 with the Rockies.

• Dustin | August 26, 2009 | 3:35 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reader f/k/a Mike | August 26, 2009 | 4:27 pm

I’m probably getting my terms wrong, but was Murton actually DFA’d and removed from the 40-man roster, or optioned off the active roster and back to CoSprings? I didn’t think Rincon was ever removed from the 40-man roster and was only on the DL.

• Reader f/k/a Mike | August 26, 2009 | 4:35 pm

Yup, the 1.56 ERA is at the Springs. FWIW, Rincon pitched well in each of his two stints there (top line is the appearances before first joining the Rockies; bottom line is his rehab stint):

8.2IP 1ER 4H 3BB 11K
    8.2IP 2ER 4H 4BB 11K

• Jason | August 26, 2009 | 4:38 pm

I believe Murton was just sent down because he still has options (I believe this is his last option year). If they just D’FA him, I would be shocked because someone would claim him and I believe he could be a valuable contributor in September.

• Townie | August 26, 2009 | 5:33 pm

It’s too bad Murton didn’t have more of a chance with the Rockies, but that just speaks to the excellent depth the Rockies have built up. I guess we’ll probably see Matt Miller get the call now in September.

• Reader f/k/a Mike | August 26, 2009 | 5:47 pm

Agree about Murton. It also means Fowler and Gonzalez (and now Eric Young, I guess) panned out, which has also been good news.

• reader f/k/a Mike | August 27, 2009 | 12:52 am

Tracy, if you stop by: can you explain why Murton was DFA’d rather than optioned? On another site a commenter wrote that you had said (on FSN?) or had written that it had to do with timing–that without the DFA, the team would have to wait several days to make the move.

• Tracy Ringolsby | August 27, 2009 | 5:26 am

I am not sure of the complete details but it seems the Rockies asked for option waivers on Murton when they called him up. That meant he could not be sent down until Friday. As a result he had to be designated. That does not mean he has to be put on waivers, but it means the Rockies have 10 days to deal with his contract. I think that would allow them to assign him to the Springs once Friday passes.

• Reader f/k/a Mike | August 27, 2009 | 8:48 am

Thank you again, Tracy. That’s interesting, but good if they don’t have to put him on waivers. They haven’t needed him much this season, but having him as depth is a good thing.

• Reader f/k/a Mike | August 27, 2009 | 8:58 am

Hmm, Murton is actually off the 40-man now, so I’m back to being confused. I didn’t think one could remove a player from the 40-man without passing him through waivers first.

• Tracy Ringolsby | August 27, 2009 | 10:10 am

As soon as a player is designated he is removed from the 40-man roster.

• Reader f/k/a Mike | August 27, 2009 | 10:56 am

Ugh, of course. I was being stupid. Thanks again.

Is this a different type of transaction from the one which is usually labelled “designated for assignment”? I thought with the usual DFA, the team must trade the player, or put them on waivers (after which they can outright or release him).