Decisions Await Rockies
The Rockies winter checklist starts with signing general manager Dan O’Dowd to a contract extension. It’s hard for him to make decisions on the future when his deal is weeks away from expiring.
Then comes the signing of manager, after which the 2010 coaching staff can be put together.
And then comes the real challenge, the groundwork for the 2010 roster.
Here is the status of players from 2009:
Potential Free Agents, 2009 salary (buyout of 2010 option)
- RHP Jason Marquis $9.875 million: Has told former teammates his goal is signing with the Mets.
- C Yorvit Torrealba $3.5 million ($500,000 buyout on option of $4.0 million): Could be back in part-time role, but $1 million is most likely max salary.
- LHP Alan Embree $2 million ($250,000 buyout on option of $3.0 million): Age and late-season broken leg make retirement likely.
- RHP Josh Fogg $750,000: Could return but would be a minor-league deal again.
The Rockies paid a minimal amount of salary for following potential free agents:
- RHP Jose Contreras, $10 million: Interest in returning in middle relief, but would probably fit better in light of age.
- 1B , $4 million: Great clubhouse presence and could return, but Rockies might need roster spot for a right-handed bat who can play first and third.
- RHP , $3.35 million ($5.4 million option): A keeper, but contract would have to be redone, most likely leading to a two-year deal at a lesser amount annually.
- LHP , $2 million: Could be back, more likely Rockies will keep Randy Flores to go with .
- RHP Juan Rincon, $750,000: Minor-league invite possible.
- RHP Matt Herges, $800,000: Minor-league invite possible.
Potential Arbitration Cases, 2009 salary
- 3B Garrett Atkins, $7.05 million: Likely non-tender.
- RHP , $4.5 million: Three-year deal likely
- LHP , $2 million: Multi-year deal possible
- 2B , $1.625 million: Multi-year deal likely
- RHP Taylor Buchholz, $1.055 million: Will open 2010 recovering from surgery.
- RHP Matt Belisle, $800,000: Seems a lock to return
- RHP Joel Peralta, $640,000: Not expected back
- LHP Randy Flores, $600,000: Should return for similar deal
- RHP , $422,200: Expected to be in rotation
- C , $415,000: Will return as No. 1 catcher
- OF , $415,000: Trade possibility
- SS Omar Quintanilla, $408,000: Trade possibility
- OF Matt Murton, $403,000: Likely replacement for Spilborghs as extra outfielder.
Signed to deals for 2010 (increase from 2009)
- 1B : $16.6 million (none)
- RHP : $9 million ($250,000)
- OF : $7.5 million ($2 million)
- LHP : $5.75 million ($2 million)
- SS : $3.5 million ($2.5 million)
- RHP : $2.75 million ($2 million)
- RHP : $1.25 million ($500,000)