Rockies look for road series win against Padres

May 5, 2010 | 7:14 pm | 8

The Colorado Rockies will close out their three-game series with the San Diego Padres by stacking up right-handed batters against lefty Clayton Richard. The lineup:

LF Eric Young Jr. (S)
CF Dexter Fowler (S)
1B Todd Helton (L)
SS Troy Tulowitzki (R)
RF Carlos Gonzalez (L)
3B Melvin Mora (R)
C Miguel Olivo (R)
2B Clint Barmes (R)
P Aaron Cook (R)

• Bill | May 5, 2010 | 8:29 pm

I didn’t comment last night as I went straight to bed after the game. My complaint last night was that Mora cost the Rockies two or three double plays. He is NOT a 2nd baseman. I was wondering if Barmes was hurt. He had a great day on Monday: two super defensive plays and a two-run double. So the next day he was benched. Makes no sense. It’s like the game after Ianetta won the game with a walk-off homer, he was on the bench.

For some reason Jim Tracy doesn’t seem to like Ianetta. Not sure why. His BA has been terrible but he’s had some really important hits and his OBA isn’t horrible. I think if he played more, he would produce.

As for the bull-pen the answer is simple… throw strikes. Of course if Mora had made a couple of plays Smith might have pitched one more inning and then the bull-pen would only have to have pitched 3 innings. Despite all the walks, Smith only gave up one run.

• Agbayani | May 5, 2010 | 9:31 pm

EY Jr. is awful in LF. I don’t blame him — he’s never had more than a handful of innings in the outfield at any level. I blame Jim Tracy. He should know better.

And it’s not as if EY’s bat is so fantastic in LF that it’s worth taking the chance …

• ProgMatinee | May 5, 2010 | 9:52 pm

This is getting silly at this point.

Pitchers not throwing strikes. Batters striking out with the bases loaded. Lineup looks ridiculous. Mora batting 6th now?

Why is getting EYJ at bats more important than getting Seth Smith or Spilborghs ABs?

Speed is that important that we need to risk defense?

The line ups been mixed around so much already, but all I can think of is to shake it up even more.

Do a complete revamp.

1. Fowler
    2. Helton
    3. Cargo
    4. Tulo
    5. Stewart
    6. Olivo
    7. Smith
    8. Barmes

0r something…but its not working this way either.

• Bill | May 5, 2010 | 11:36 pm

Bottom of the 10th and I hope we get out of it. I think Tracy is afflicted with same disease that McDanials has last year with the Broncos and lots of Coaches and Managers have. He knows better than every body else no matter what the results say. EY can’t play left field. I know that, you know that but Tracy keeps running him out there. No just the error but the misplayed flyball. We got out of the tenth but are running out of pitchers.

And taking out Matt Daley for Morales. Morales pitched good last year (most of the time) but has stunk most of the time this year. Daley has just retired 4 in a row and he’s one pitcher who can go 2 or 3 innings. Win or lose, I’m frustrated with this game.

• ProgMatinee | May 5, 2010 | 11:50 pm

morales. reminds me of julian tavares and jose mesa. can’t stand them.

• ProgMatinee | May 5, 2010 | 11:51 pm

STEWIE! The question is now, can we hold this?

• Reader f/k/a Mike | May 6, 2010 | 12:10 am

Wow, Corpas hung on. That was a tough series…a lot of work to take 2 of 3!

• Matt | May 6, 2010 | 12:22 am

Good for Corpas! Looks like Morales will be a 6th, 7th inning guy. He may thrive there.