Buchholz takes next step toward return

May 16, 2010 | 10:16 pm | 14

Reliever Taylor Buchholz threw two scoreless innings Sunday for Triple-A Colorado Springs in his fifth rehab outing and second for the Sky Sox. He gave up one hit and threw 14 of his 18 pitches for strikes in a 12-8 win against Round Rock.

It was the first two-inning stint for Buchholz, who is eligible to come off the 60-day disabled list and join the Rockies on June 3, and his second game for the Sky Sox. Buchholz made three scoreless one-inning appearances for high Class A Modesto on May 5, May 8 and May 10. He pitched one scoreless inning for Colorado Springs on May 13, throwing 11 pitches, seven strikes, before his two-inning outing Sunday.

In his five rehab appearances, Buchholz has allowed one hit in six innings with no walks and six strikeouts. Buchholz last pitched in a major league game Sept. 9, 2008. He missed the entire 2009 season and underwent Tommy John surgery June 17, 2009.

• Ryan M | May 16, 2010 | 10:41 pm

It’d be nice to get another solid BP arm back instead of all the shuffling that’s been going on with even the normally solid Daley hitting a bump in the road and getting sent down. The Sky Sox actually won this game 12-8 as well, contrary to what is stated in the note. The bottom line though is Taylor had another VERY solid outing. Keep it going, Taylor, and we’ll see you soon at Coors!

• Jack Etkin | May 16, 2010 | 10:50 pm

Ryan,

Thanks for pointing out that the Sky Sox won. Another good start for Alan Johnson _ 6 6 2 2 1 4 _ an undrafted free agent, who is 4-0, 2.45 in eight games overall and 4-0, 1.74 in six starts.

• Doctor_Christopher | May 17, 2010 | 12:00 am

Jack, any thought from Jim Tracy about when Buchholz comes back how he will use him? Know its early but last year we saw Tracy like to give each man in the pen a defined role. Buchholz was great in the 8th in 2008, but he has the history as a starter, so does he become the new long man now that Corpas has moved to late innings? Also, what is the plan with his type of surgery – does it take an extra year before he can go two days in a row? Though I am sure Taylor will just by glad to be back in the majors.

• Rich M | May 17, 2010 | 7:45 am

When both Street and Buchholtz come back from injuries and it is starting to look like about the same timeframe now – early June, Betancourt might prove to be the odd man out, and my guess is DanO will soon be shopping him around the MLB.

If you carry five right handed relief arms including the closer, then you will likely have Street, Corpas, Buchholtz, Belisle and Rogers. Corpas, Buchholtz and Belisle should be able to handle the 7th and 8th inning roles. Hammel slides into Rogers’s long relief spot when DLR rejoins the starting rotation.

DanO also has a relief pitching surplus with the two left handed roles with Beimel, Flores, Morales and M Reynolds all seemingly capable of filling those two MLB spots.

All in all thats a solid bullpen when they are all healthy.

Tracy, would the Rockies consider Lowell (Boston pays most of the 2010 salary) and a mid-level propect for Iannetta? Lowell could be the right handed power bat that the Rockies are currently missing?

• Derrek | May 17, 2010 | 12:44 pm

I will believe it when I see it when it comes to Street coming back. All we have heard from spring training til now is Street is looking good. He will be ready for opening day, then he has a setback. Then he will be ready May 1st, then he has a setback. Then it’s June 1st and now he has a setback. I know this isn’t arm related but it’s still a setback. Corpas is going to have to be the guy for the Rox!!!

• Marc | May 17, 2010 | 2:31 pm

That proposed trade for Ianetta is absolutely absurd. Not in a million years.

• Marc | May 17, 2010 | 2:34 pm

Sorry for the double-post, but I’d also like to add that Betancourt is going absolutely nowhere. When Street and Bucholz are ready to go, Rogers and Flores will be gone.

• Robb | May 17, 2010 | 3:38 pm

Agree, Marc. No way the Rockies would even consider that trade for half a second.

• Karl | May 17, 2010 | 8:08 pm

No point in picking up a Lowell in a trade this year. Maybe as a waiver claim in Sept or something i.e. Giambi last year, but no way they should trade Iannetta. He needs to be back up with the big league club. Phillips is a nice backup, but come on, Chris needs to be back with the team and contribute.

• Reader f/k/a Mike | May 17, 2010 | 9:02 pm

“Chris needs to be back with the team and contribute.”

Tell the Rockies that. I figured sending him down was discussed with him as a way for him to get back on track, but according to quotes he gave this weekend, at best he disagrees with the “plan,” at worst, it wasn’t really discussed with him:

““I wasn’t happy with the decision, and I was surprised and disappointed,’’ said Iannetta. “I don’t know what they’re thinking. I have no clue. I’ve asked and I didn’t get an answer.

“I had 30 at-bats and I know I didn’t have the production. They sent me down and I had no choice, no voice. I’ve just come down and played to the best of my ability and kept working hard.’’”

(From Nick Cafardo’s 5/16 Sunday Globe article)

Iannetta’s had his issues, to be sure. But his treatment is oddly inconsistent–sign him to a contract and then give him just 30 AB’s. If they don’t have confidence in him, I hope at some point they make up their minds and give him a chance to play elsewhere.

• Rich M | May 17, 2010 | 10:30 pm

Marc, you are completely missing the point of the previous post in that Street and Buchholtz don’t pitch in long relief (Rogers) or left handed (Flores), so there is no way that they can supplant those guys in their current roles in the bullpen.

And finally Rockies fans, if Iannetta is so valuable to the Rockies why is he still in Colorado Springs? The Iannetta trade rumor comes from Boston – not from me – I just want to get a right handed power bat in return if it happens. I really like Iannetta but at the money he is scheduled to make, he can’t play all season at AAA.

• Tracy Ringolsby | May 17, 2010 | 11:31 pm

Marc, I have to agree that I think Rogers will be the first pitcher to go, and it could be as soon as this week. Next in line, most likely, will be Smith depending on how he pitches in the interim. Rogers has a big arm but the converted shortstop is still learning to pitch and needs to be able to develop secondary pitches. He will benefit from going out and pitching extended sessions so he has to pitch and not just throw. That move, however, could be made by the weekend to add another position player, which my guess is will be Jonathan Herrera. The next move, most likely will involved Smith, depending on how he responds on the mound during the interim, and then when the second pitcher is activated it will be very interesting to see where the team is and what decision is m,ade.

• Rich M | May 18, 2010 | 7:15 am

Tracy, I agree with your point on Rogers needing some seasoning, however does Belisle become the long man (3+ innings) if Rogers is sent down? That works, however it seems like Belisle has thrived in shorter roles this season.

• Rich M | May 18, 2010 | 12:02 pm

You folks have most likely heard the expression about a pitcher “leaving his best stuff in the bullpen” warming up – well as spinoff from that – I hope Buchholtz doesn’t “leave his best stuff in the minors”! The stat line so far is off the charts.