Schedule in Jimenez’s favor to start All-Star Game

May 20, 2010 | 11:52 pm | 12

There’s little doubt about the All-Star credentials Ubaldo Jimenez is building, what with his 8-1 record and 0.99 ERA for the Colorado Rockies. But what are his chances of starting the All-Star Game on Tuesday July 13 at Anaheim? Or put another way, will he not start the Sunday before the game and, hence, have the requisite rest to start against the American League?

OK, this is getting ahead of things. That said, the answer is, yes. Jimenez is scheduled to make his final start before the All-Star break on Friday July 9, which would give him three days of rest, plenty of time, before starting and throwing two innings against the AL.

Jimenez has made nine starts. He is scheduled to make nine more starts before the All-Star break. Rainouts could change things, of course, and so could an injury. But assuming Jimenez pitches every fifth game _ not every fifth day _ as he has all season, his schedule leading up to the All-Star break would include five starts at Coors Field, four on the road and look as follows:

-May 26 against Arizona
-May 31 at San Francisco
-June 6 at Arizona
-June 11 against Toronto
-June 17 at Minnesota
-June 23 against Boston
-June 28 at San Diego
-July 3 against San Francisco
-July 9 against San Diego

• GARY | May 21, 2010 | 1:18 am

Hope it works out this way,’specially because I have tickets for that Bosox game!Now if we could just find a way to pick up Roy Oswalt who looked pretty darn good tonight also.

• ProgMatinee | May 21, 2010 | 7:57 am

I’m hoping for an unlikly July 3 rain out so I can see him pitch on the 4th! lol.

• Steve N | May 21, 2010 | 8:10 am

I don’t think he should pitch in the All-Star game.. Seriuosly. Think it zaps too many players both physically and emotionally…for whatever reason. Brad Hawpe ’09?

• ProgMatinee | May 21, 2010 | 9:07 am

Hawpe in ASG 09, man that did take the wind out of his sails. If (can’t remember who) didn’t rob his HR who knows what sort of mind set Brad would have been in for the second half.

• Dustin | May 21, 2010 | 9:19 am

Wait a second, Brad Hawpe’s splits have always been bad, if I recall correctly.

He hits on a 280 something line every year, and has batted above 300 in the first half of the season. I don’t think the ASG was a factor.

Halladay will most likely be starting the ASG. He’s going to make the team, and Charlie Manuel will probably start his starting his Ace.

• Marc | May 21, 2010 | 9:39 am

The Rays’ Carl Crawford robbed Hawpe of that HR…

• Dave | May 21, 2010 | 9:41 am

If I were a manager I might prefer not to even use my Ace!

• Steve N | May 21, 2010 | 10:47 am

Think Holliday slumped after the All-Star game once too? I just seem to remember lots of players not performing well. Even if its just for a spell. I have no facts to back it up though…chime in any of you stat-guys! lol Why take the chance with your best player?

• Rich M | May 21, 2010 | 11:53 am

Nope get selected to the game – then get a two day hang nail and then be ready to pitch immediately after the all star break.

• Jerry R. | May 21, 2010 | 12:20 pm

Yeah, Charlie M. will opt to start his guy (Doc Halliday) and not the guy from playoff rivals (twice), so let it go.

U needs to get the ball every fifth game for us, and not add some other pressure upon him. He has enuf already!

Stay healthy U! Go Rox!

• Michael_L | May 21, 2010 | 1:39 pm

I was hoping someone who is more knowledgeable then me on this subject could help me out. I live in Miami and can’t wait for the Rockies-Fish series, I want to go to the game Ubaldo is scheduled to start but it’s kind of hard to forecast out that far. If someone could help me out and just guesstimate which game of the series that he is most likely to start that would be awesome.

• Steve Foster | May 21, 2010 | 2:21 pm

Michael,

Tough to say, because that’s the second series after the All-Star break and the Rockies usually shuffle their rotation after the break. I know you don’t want to hear this, but it’s possible you might miss him. Assuming Ubaldo Jimenez makes the All-Star team and pitches — whether he starts or not — he’ll be doing so on three days rest. It seems likely the Rockies will give him regular rest before his next start, and full rest would be their two off-days after the All-Star Game and the first two games in Cincinnati, putting him on schedule for the third game against the Reds, Sunday, July 18. The would make him the only starter the Marlins wouldn’t see in the four-game series. If he started the AS Game and the Rockies wanted to give him an extra day of rest, then you might see him in the first game of the Marlins series. This is all hypothetical, of course, because as I said the Rockies usually juggle their rotation significantly after the break.