De La Rosa set to return; Chacin going to bullpen

July 6, 2010 | 4:20 pm | 11

Tracy Ringolsby reports via Twitter that the Jorge De La Rosa will return the Colorado Rockies rotation for Friday’s series opener against the San Diego Padres. De La Rosa, who was 3-1 with a 3.91 ERA before he went on the disabled list in late April with a torn finger tendon, made three rehab start at Triple-A Colorado Springs. After allowing just two runs in his first two rehab starts, he gave eight runs — seven earned — in 4 2/3 innings in his final start for the Sky Sox on Saturday.

Aaron Cook and Ubaldo Jimenez will start the second and third games of the Rockies’ three-game series against the St. Louis Cardinals.

Jhoulys Chacin, who has been part of the starting rotation since late April but has pitched more than six innings in only three starts, will move to the bullpen. Chacin is 5-7 with a 3.59 ERA this season.

• Eric | July 6, 2010 | 4:35 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the update. Do you know who’s spot that Chacin is taking in the bullpen?

Additionally, any idea what the Rocks are planning on doing with Buchholz? It looks as if he’s back pitching on somewhat of a regular basis again. If the Rocks are planning on bringing him up, who’s bullpen spot would he take? Thanks!

• Steve Foster | July 6, 2010 | 4:44 pm

No word on who we will replace. The decision probably will not be made until just before De La Rosa is activated Friday. Esmil Rogers could go back to the Springs and Manuel Corpas seems to be the least reliable option right now. Watch to see how those two are used during the next three games and that might give an indication. As for Buchholz, he can be activated at any time but he likely will remain on his rehab for a little while longer. With the All-Star break coming up, the Rockies might wait to activate him until after the brea when the entire bullpen will be rested and Jim Tracy can work Buchholz back in carefully.

• Gary | July 6, 2010 | 4:47 pm

Steve,

What is the speculation on Manuel given his recent struggles? Would appear he would be a candidate for CS to work on his problems. But that still leaves a spot for Bucholtz. Still better than the past when no one to fill spots.

• Steve Foster | July 6, 2010 | 5:16 pm

Tracy or Jack would be better to answer the question about any speculation around Corpas. The reality is, however, he’s been struggling and you have two pitchers coming back soon who need a spot on the roster.

• Matt | July 6, 2010 | 5:26 pm

Just one person’s opinion but I disagree with Tracy that Chacin should be sent to the pen. He has easily been our third, possibly second best starting pitcher behind Ubaldo. Cook and Francis haven’t pulled their weight and I think the Rox should ride Chacin until he runs into consistent trouble. I’d rather see Cook or Francis be the long man until someone blows up and we need to rely on a veteran starter.

The odd man out at this point has to be Corpas. He is tired and needs time to recoup. Rogers was very impressive on Sunday and deserves the chance to stay up.

It is nice the Rox have depth so they aren’t forced into a terrible decision. I only hope Chacin doesn’t lose his confidence while sitting in the pen.

• wayne | July 6, 2010 | 5:38 pm

Matt, I agree wholeheartedly.

• Doug | July 6, 2010 | 5:39 pm

How about picking up Garrett Atkins now that he has been released? Maybe some time in AAA to regain his stroke…

• Adam | July 6, 2010 | 8:56 pm

I don’t think you move Francis or Cook to the bullpen for two reasons: one, they’re veterans and have done so much for the team through the years. I’m not saying I agree with that, but that does play a factor. The second reason is that Chacin has strikeout stuff. He throws fairly hard and has good offspeed pitches. That translates better for the bullpen. The stuff of Cook and Francis doesn’t translate well to the bullpen.

• Matt | July 7, 2010 | 7:15 am

I don’t agree that Chacin is a better option in the pen because of his strikeout stuff. Josh Fogg didn’t have dazzling stuff but was placed in the role last year. The long man’s job is to eat innings, not strike batters out. This would be a great place for Francis or Cook to go down until they get their command back.

I also think the veteran argument actually works in favor of Chacin starting. Chacin is a starter and knows that role. The rookie needs to be handled a little more carefully whereas Cook or Francis are veterans and can handle a spot in the bullpen. Like I said before, just one person’s opinion.

• Adam | July 7, 2010 | 12:04 pm

Good points. I kinda keep forgetting he’d be the long man out there.

• Shane | July 7, 2010 | 3:32 pm

I think that Chacin in the bullpen is a temporary move until buckholtz is brought up after the All-Star break. Chacin is a starter, and needs to get regular starts to continue his development. My cloudy and unreliable crystal ball says Chacin will get sent down when Buckholtz is brought up. I just don’t see Chacin developing into the top flight 1 or 2 starter that I think he can and will be, as the long man out of the bullpen at the major league level. Especially since we have a stable of options to choose from. I could see it if the Rockies were very thin and desperate in the bullpen, but they just aren’t at this point. I think this is just keeping him up at the major league level for an extra week or two to get in a little bit more work against major league level batters before being sent down.