Game Recap: Rockies 8, Cardinals 7
Key to the Game
The Colorado Rockies’ late-inning hitting woes are far behind them. For the second consecutive night, the Rockies pulled off a big comeback against the St. Louis Cardinals and, also for the second consecutive night, a ninth-inning home run was key.
The Rockies were down 7-4 to start the bottom of the eighth inning. Brad Eldred doubled,walked and , who struggled against right-handers until his recent recall, clobbered a three-run home run from the left side of the plate to tie the game 7-7.
In the bottom of the ninth, Iannetta, who hit a three-run home run in the Rockies’ ninth-inning rally Tuesday, led off the bottom of the ninth with a solo home run to put the Rockies on top.
– Chris Iannetta is 8-for-24, with four home runs and nine RBI in his past six games.
– Dexter Fowler is 12-for-25 with two doubles, four triples, a home run, 10 runs scored and six RBI in his past six games.
– Brad Eldred, who was called up Wednesday to take ‘s spot on the roster, was 3-for-4 with three runs scored in his first major-league game since 2007.
– Ian Stewart, who didn’t enter the game until he pinch-hit for , accounted for four of the Rockies’ runs. He drove in two with a pinch-hit single in the fifth inning, one more with a single in the sixth and scored after walking in the eighth inning.
– extended his hitting streak to a career-high 14 games with a sixth-inning single.
– was 3-for-4 to raise his batting average to .320. Since taking over the full-time job at second base, Herrera has hit safely in 17 of 18 games.
– was 3-for-5 with a double. He is 7-for-11 in the series.
– and pitched scoreless eighth and ninth innings. Street picked up his first win of the season.