Report: Rockies more likely sellers after losses

July 28, 2010 | 10:53 pm | 26

Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com reports the Colorado Rockies are no longer trying to acquire Jorge Cantu from the Florida Marlins and likely will be sellers at the trade deadline after dropping two games to the Pittsburgh Pirates and falling to 51-50.

Rosenthal reports Aaron Cook, Brad Hawpe and Joe Beimel are the Rockies most likely to be on the move before Saturday’s deadline. Melvin Mora and Ryan Spilborghs could also be traded, but are unlikely to bring much in return. Jorge De La Rosa, who will be a free agent at the end of the season, is not likely to be moved according to Rosenthal. The Rockies could try to resign De La Rosa or settle for draft-pick compensation if the lefty, who projects as a Type B free agent, leaves.

The Rockies conceivably could be sellers this week but not do any significant damage to the roster this season should they turn things around. If traded, Cook would be replaced by Jhoulys Chacin, arguably an upgrade at this point. Beimel would likely be replaced by Matt Reynolds, who has a 2.17 ERA and 60 strikeouts in 49 2/3 innings this season at Colorado Springs. Hawpe already has been displaced in the outfield by Seth Smith and, if traded, would simply give way at first base to Jason Giambi and Melvin Mora or the possible return of Todd Helton.

• gary | July 29, 2010 | 1:18 am

No real problems for me,but doubt anyone will take Cook now.We broke our ass to get Beimel in March so can onle assume we would trade because of major interest-if so f get as much as possible.Hawpe won’t go w/10 million option,unless as a rent a player.Could get him back next year for a lot less,and as a 1st base option.Mora won’t get much,but clears roster spot. Spilly is only RH bat in left hand hitting outfield,and Miller supposedly a defensive liability-plus Spilly is so much the spirt of 2007,09,could kill whatever chemistry is left.If Chacin gets in a couple of good starts at CS,he has to get back in rotation.We might keep DLR,w/injury season numbers,but probably only on one year deal.As I have said often,decisions better made in Winter than emotionally now.

• Reader f/k/a Mike | July 29, 2010 | 7:15 am

There’d be interest in Cook. Problem is the Rockies would have to pick up money on his deal to get anyone in return, and even so, the anyone’s not going to be a great prospect. So it’s not clear what this would get them. I can’t imagine the salary relief is a huge issue, as I doubt they entered the season thinking they’d *have* to trade him.

I don’t know why we’re in such hysterics about him anyway. It’s not as if he hasn’t had rough patches before righting himself in the past. 6 straight seasons w/a park adjusted ERA over the league avg. If you’ve ever tried to find the 8-10 starting pitchers you need to fill your 5 slots for the season, you realize that that has a lot of value, even if it’s not particularly exciting.

I’m guessing the team would need to pick up some of Hawpe’s deal, too.

A guy like Beimel seems like the most likely possibility. 1 yr deal, fairly fungible…they wouldn’t get much but could take a flier on some A ball kid.

• Wayne | July 29, 2010 | 8:17 am

If they will be sellers, they have not much to sell.

I think they will sit and do nothing, finish out the season and look at some kids after 9-1 call up.

• Rich M | July 29, 2010 | 8:24 am

Why wait to hit Rock bottom (yea I like the play on words here), blow the Rockies up and start over? By being SO patient the Rockies FO actually sends the wrong message to their players. There is no player accountability and especially no sense of urgency to perform. Where is George S (RIP) when you need him?

• Eric W | July 29, 2010 | 8:44 am

The Rockies just haven’t had good games at all these past 8 Days. I heard that they can sell in July and buy and August if they do well. This won’t be a firesale or anything. If this is what has to be done to turn the season around then I guess that is what needs to happen. I don’t think it needs to be Cook that needs to be traded though. The Rockies need to focus on winning and playing all 27 outs of the baseball game. Here is what they need to do:

1. add a starting pitcher- might solve with Chacin
    2. right handed bat
    3. reliever

• Swam | July 29, 2010 | 9:15 am

Eric, I think you and I both know there’s not a turn-around in sight. You can’t lose two to the Pirates at home and expect to dig out of this mess.

I still think you need to move Barmes and play Herrera everyday to see what the kid is made of. Would also like to see one of the higher paid pitchers get moved (DLR, Cook or Francis) to clear a roster spot for Chacin. Let’s see what he can bring to the table for the rest of the year.

No matter what, the 2011 roster will have to display more youth as Giambi and Mora won’t be part of the plan. Might as well get them some playing time now.

• Mike Raysfan | July 29, 2010 | 9:25 am

Personally, I take whatever Ken Rosenthal says with a grain of salt. It wouldn’t surpise me if he read the article in the NY media and then read Dave Krieger’s story yesterday and came up with his own deductions based on those and rumors he has heard. He does work for MLB TV and they did say, late yesterday afternoon, the Rockies were “quietly” try to move Cook.

I guess he is alleging Beimel is going to the Phillies or Red Sox? He alleged Cliff Lee was going to the Dodgers also.

A snipit of the article was posted for me to read yesterday. It explains what the Rockies would do with Cook and his salary. Here is a small piece of said article. I cannot provide SOURCE other than a repost from the NY Times.

” Also, he (Cook) is owed about $3 million on his $9 million contract for this season, $9.5 million next year and there is a mutual option in 2012 for $11 million or $500,000 buyout. However, if he is traded his base salary increases by $1 million in each season.”

Who knows what will happen. I still believe the Rockies can turn things around and have a shot at the post season. Time is short though.

• Wayne | July 29, 2010 | 9:49 am

Can we trade for McCutchen, Walker and Jones before the Pirates leave town?

• Miketober | July 29, 2010 | 9:57 am

Wayne, agreed! Give them Jimenez, Hawpe, Cargo, Smith, Tulo, Olivo, and Street for McCutchen. He can simultaneously play most positions anyway, even while injured. Maybe we can trade managers too.

In all seriousness, Gary is right. Decisions are best made in the calm of winter than the emotions of a losing streak.

• Eric W | July 29, 2010 | 10:02 am

Miketober that is to much for Andrew McCutchen. I think they will turn around once Helton comes back.

• Jasper | July 29, 2010 | 10:22 am

No rush – the waiver deadline, Aug. 1, is more likely to see action by the Rockies in moving current players. No other team is likely to block a trade of Corpas, Beimel, Barmes or the like during August. Cook makes too much to be traded unless desperation sets in for a team like Philadelphia or the Angels. Cook will probably remain with the Rockies next year but, if traded, is more likely to be traded in the off season for a struggling player with a similar salary. Nothing to be gained by trading Spilborghs. Hawpe could go in July if the White Sox or someone like them step up, but it would probably take more than they would offer. Barmes could go this year if someone needed him; the middle infield is too crowded.

No point in paying attention to Rosenthal or the Post. Rosenthal is a know-nothing babbler just trying to excite fans and the Post only knows what so-called “other team scouts” tell them. That being said, once in a while Rosenthal and the Post luck out (Cliff Lee to the Dodgers not being one of the lucky pronouncements).

Helton is not present and is not in condition to lead a charge. Tulowitzski is not as good as Helton as a charge leader. If Jimenez, DLR and the others don’t perform at a continual high level, there will be no charge. The chance is still there, but my hopes are not high.

• Rich M | July 29, 2010 | 11:03 am

Eric W with all due respect – if you think the Rockies are going to trade for a rotation starter, a right handed bat and a reliever before the trade deadline – let me put this nicely – that’s not going to happen.

I really don’t care who reports it, the Rockies are now officially sellers and some players are about to leave Denver! That doesn’t mean that they won’t look to filling some of the holes you mentioned, but it does mean that the players (in return) are likely to be prospects instead of MLB regulars.

• Eric W | July 29, 2010 | 11:34 am

OK understand Rich M… Does build for future.

• Eric W | July 29, 2010 | 11:40 am

I meant by late August IF they play well. I am not assuming the season is over…

• Rich M | July 29, 2010 | 12:00 pm

Eric W you are a better Rockies fan than me, I officially gave up hope after the first Pirates loss. The likelyhood of another 2007 run is extremely remote, but I do love the fact that you are still hoping.

I have said this many times before, the Padres will NOT win the NL West!

• Doctor_Christopher | July 29, 2010 | 12:20 pm

Wow can 14 games change a season or what? Just a few short weeks ago we were playing the Pads for the 1st place lead going into the break and then we absolutely implode. I agree that a lot of pieces have to be moved, but in fact there is still a lot of talent on this team. We are not the Pirates! We are just playing like them (only worse).

I would be interested to hear what the ITR guys think the big issue has been? We know the pitching has been spotty and there has been no timely hitting. The radio guys pointed out that the Phils team averaged more tahn 10 years of major league time and the Rocks squad that played on Monday, with Giambi, averaged only 4.5 years. So this team is young still.

I do wonder about chemistry though. Part of the reason to keep Cook and Hawpe is that they are good clubhouse guys. Maybe seeing these guys moved (still think Cookie is the perfect long man, with his ability to get ground balls and the fact that he usually does okay teh first time through a line-up). I love Hawpe, but he is not worth his pricetag and he is not among the top 3 outfield guys. I would hate to move SPilly unless you get something good back, as he is versititle, a decent bat, good defender, good club house guy, and signed through 2011.

I can see being both a seller and buyer, because they could still make a run if they had a good 8-2 or 9-1 stretch.

Not giving up but after last night, I cannot watch this team without feelind sad at the wastered opportunity of this season.

• ProgMatinee | July 29, 2010 | 12:49 pm

Every player Philadephia brings up seems like an immediate star, see Dominic Brown. Then when they have a player develope into a bonafide star they keep him, see Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley. Then when they need another player to supplement their stars, they trade for them, see Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Shane Victorino, Raul Ibanez. Then they know exactly when to let them become free agents as they are hitting the ceiling, see Aaron Rowan and Pat Burrell. They recognize which players are not part of their core and trade them while they can, see Bobby Abreu and soon to be Jayson Werth.

The Rockies do all the opposite of those things. They draft poorly, keep all the wrong players, never go out in free agency (when they do they flop), and rarely get the better end on trades.

• Wayne | July 29, 2010 | 1:01 pm

Prog, extremely good analysis. the only real difference is how much money the owners are committing to budget. There is an big discrepancy between the two teams budget wise. However strategically you have hit the nail on the head.

• Eric W | July 29, 2010 | 2:18 pm

On ESPN they are saying Rockies can stand pat then on the chat for the trade deadline we are willing to move Hawpe???

• Eric W | July 29, 2010 | 2:19 pm

On ESPN they are saying Rockies can stand pat then on the chat for the trade deadline they are willing to move Brad Hawpe???

• Swam | July 29, 2010 | 2:21 pm

Rich M., you are absolutely correct. You can’t lose to the Pirates! Watch these guys give up in the Cubs series too. Can we start a list of who won’t be back next year (traded or non-tendered)? I’ll offer up Hawpe, Giambi, Mora, Francis, Beimel. On the cusp are Barmes, De La Rosa and Corpas. Anyone else?

• ProgMatinee | July 29, 2010 | 2:35 pm

I’ll say one of the catchers will probably not be back. I think either they give up on Iannetta or commit completely.

• Gregg Macaluso | July 29, 2010 | 4:46 pm

Lot’s of fodder for lots of problems but give up on Barmes? Hererra shows flashes but nobody here thinks he’s Ryan Sandberg … 2 HR’s a year, .260 tops, 75 RBI’s tops … 10 SBs? OBP .300?

While I can here you saying “I’d love those numbers from Barmes” there are two reasons why you have to have him 1) consistent as the day is long on defense with the quickest/most accurate release in the game (yep better than Michael Young and I never thought I’d say that) and 2) he can hit somewhere between 15 and 25 dings a year and add consistency in the lower third or 2 hole of any lineup.

Get Don B to get him squared away and get him hitting .280 like he should and Hererra can be your 5th infielder. If you’re looking for a roster spot … uncle Mora needs a early summer vacation.

Bigger problems should be why Dexter looks like a deer in the headlights with anyone pitching +91mph or has any sort of visit from Lord Charles.

• Miketober | July 29, 2010 | 4:47 pm

Did I just read that right? The Astros paid Philadelphia $11,000,000 to take Roy Oswalt off their hands?? I don’t understand the intricacies of these contract negotiations, but why couldn’t the Rockies get in on that action?

• Eric W | July 29, 2010 | 5:22 pm

hummmmm.

• Mike Raysfan | July 29, 2010 | 7:01 pm

“but why couldn’t the Rockies get in on that action?”

I’m guessing there is NO WAY the Rockies would agree to guaranty his $16 million 3rd year. I’m not sure what was settled on but he nixed the orginal deal unless the Phillies agreed to guaranty it.

Now that the Oswalt deal looks done, I hoping and praying that part 2 of the deal, the Rays, don’t give up Wade Davis for Werth.

Pat Burrell looks good in the NL but he certainly didn’t adapt to the AL.

Maybe in some deals the Phillies might look good but certainly not all. They had Cliff Lee. Why let him go only to end up probably spending a lot more to get Oswalt.