Game Recap: Rockies 6, Giants 1
Key to the Game
After a shaky July, has resumed his role as the Colorado Rockies’ stopper. For the 13th time in 2010, Jimenez won after a Rockies loss, improving his overall record to 17-2, tying the franchise’s single-season record for wins and lowering his ERA to 2.61.
Jimenez allowed one run in the sixth inning on back-to-back doubles by Aubrey Huff and Buster Posey, two of the four hits he allowed in the game. He walked one and struck out nine in seven innings.
At the plate, Jimenez reached on an infield single with two out in the second inning and scored from first on‘ double to put the Rockies up 2-0.
– made up for strikeouts in his first two at-bats with home runs in his next two, a two-run shot in the fifth and solo shot in the sixth for his first career multihomer game. Gonzalez went 2-for-4 to raise his batting average to .319, scored twice and drove in three runs.
– homered for the first since being activated from the disabled list. He hit a solo home run in the sixth, going back-to-back with Gonzalez. He also doubled in the first and singled in the third.
– Ryan Spilborghs doubled in the Rockies’ first two runs in the second inning but was thrown out trying to stretch it to a triple. However, the easy out of Spilborghs — the last of the inning — likely enticed the Giants to cut off the relay throw and let Jimenez score, avoiding a play at the plate involving the Rockies pitcher.
– was 2-for-5 and scored a run.
– Every Rockies starter reached base at least once. and each went 0-for-3 but walked once.
– , who suffered bruised ribs on a game-saving catch Sunday against the Chicago Cubs but avoided the disabled list, entered the game defensively in the top of the eighth inning and popped out leading off in the bottom of the inning.
– Relievers and combined for a scoreless eighth and ninth innings. Belisle allowed a hit and struck out two while Betancourt struck out the side.