Rockies place Francis on DL, call up Young

August 14, 2010 | 10:11 am | 15

The Colorado Rockies season was dealt another blow on Saturday.

Left-handed starter Jeff Francis is headed to the disabled list for the second time this season. Francis, who opened the season on the disabled list in his continued recovery from last season’s left shoulder surgery, is suffering from tendinitis in the shoulder.

Second baseman Eric Young, Jr., will initially be recalled to fill the roster spot, but his stay figures to be brief. The Rockies will need someone to step into Francis’ spot in the rotation Tuesday in Los Angeles. Jhoulys Chacin would seem the likely candidate, which means Esmil Rogers‘ spot on the big league roster is safe.

Rogers will start Saturday against Milwaukee. Chacin originally was set to make his fourth start since being sent to Triple-A Colorado Springs to build up arm strength so he would go into the rotation, and after that the Rockies were going to decide between Rogers and Chacin for next Friday’s start in Arizona. Now, it would seem, Rogers will make that Friday start, and Chacin will start the series finale at Arizona on April 22.

Francis joins right-hander Aaron Cook on the disabled list. Cook is working out with Double-A Tulsa, trying to refine his mechanics.

Ubaldo Jimenez is the only member of the Rockies rotation who has avoided the disabled list this season.

• Karl | August 14, 2010 | 11:30 am

Two ‘top starters’ go down with injuries, two youngsters are going to be relied on in August and September. Doesn’t that have a familiar ring to it?

Come on lightning!

• Tracy Ringolsby | August 14, 2010 | 11:38 am

Well, actually back in 2007 it was three of the five starters who went down and the kids, Jimenez and Morales, were joined by a veteran, Redman, in helping the Rockies down the stretch.

• Dustin | August 14, 2010 | 12:18 pm

really at this point in time, it’s my opinion that Chacin > Francis > Rodgers > Cook so this isn’t a huge set back, altough I’m disappointed for Francis. I like the lefty though.

• Konaman | August 14, 2010 | 1:06 pm

Never know what will happen, but at least we will get a longer look at em for next year. I like young live arms so go rockies!!

• Swede | August 14, 2010 | 1:12 pm

All according to plan per yesterday’s post!

• EdtheUmp | August 14, 2010 | 1:22 pm

This is not terrible news, folks. With the season all but lost, these two youngsters will give us a glimpse of some of next years rotation. They will probably struggle a bit but they need to learn the nuances of pitching in the bigs. OJT works best in my humble opinion.

Who knows, maybe we will catch lightning in a bottle again. I, for one, am looking forward to watching them “ply their craft” on the big stage. Ubaldo should be a huge influence on how they develop. Alot to put on the shoulders of a fine young man, but I believe he will rise to the occasion.

I’m looking forward to the final seven weeks of the season to see if our under-achieving ballclub finally, finally begins playing fundamental baseball. If they don’t I’m afraid three or four of them will not be Rockies next year.

As a final note: Miguel, will you please, at least, TRY to block a ball in the dirt instead of trying to catch it. Please.

Thanks for let this old, broken-down ump have his say.

• steve | August 14, 2010 | 2:05 pm

Honestly, I don’t see this as a bad thing. Chacin is better than Francis, Cook, and maybe De La Rosa. Rogers is better than Francis and Cook. I’m not so sure we don’t currently have (for the first time), the five best starting arms available in the rotation. And as mentioned before, at the very least, it provides a good look at these guys with next year in mind.

• ProgMatinee | August 14, 2010 | 2:29 pm

its getting hard to tell whether these injuries are just bs to get a player off the roster.

• Jason H. | August 14, 2010 | 2:40 pm

It’s good to give the younger players some much needed experience, since this year and the past year have proven the Rockies really can’t rely on Cook and Francis anymore. Francis is almost becoming as big of a bust as Deny Nagle or Mike Hampton for how much the Rockies are paying him to play mediocre… It’s a good thing that the Rockies are getting their money’s worth and then some from Ubaldo!

• Anonymous | August 14, 2010 | 4:47 pm

Francis is nowhere near the bust Hampton and neagle were. Francis is signed to a club friendly contract. Francis was hurt so yes he wasn’t earning his money but not even close to 120 million Hampton and 55 million Neagle.

I personally think Francis has done ok this year. Is he at his 07 form? Of course not. Shoulder injuries are always the toughest to come back from. It’s always the control that is the last to come back. I think he will be the Francis of old come next year. I really do.

• Rockpile | August 14, 2010 | 5:16 pm

I hope the team keeps EY up in the majors. He might be the sparkplug this team needs to go on a run. Also, when we’re losing those terrible 1-0 games on the roads, a speedy guy like EY really helps when we’re trying to push one measily run across. He can steal bases and help us manufacture runs when we need to. I think we should keep him up. Also, sucks about Francis. He was pitching really well there.

• GARY | August 14, 2010 | 11:16 pm

jASON,one of the few posts this year that makes me mad enough to want and throw a punch!Don’t worry,I’m 64-horribly out of shape-and haven’t been in a fight since 6th grade.But ur post is horribly unfair.Jeffs last start was very good-encouraging actually-as u must know it takes a year of rehab,and another year of action to truly get all the way back.Plus Francis’ contract is nothing out of the ordinary.Take the way Jeff has thrown in “good” starts,and compare to Brewers Narvasion,or J.Moyer,Padres M.LeBlanc,et al. All starters,all being paid major league money,and we are lucky to have Francis over any of them.I,for one,was hoping Jeff would be back next year at full strenght,as a number 3/4 starter.He also was a solid #1 who helped lead us to the world series in 2007.So I take umbrage w/your comments sir!

• Doc | August 15, 2010 | 7:42 am

MLB official site of the Colorado Rockies wrote: “Aug 15, 2010. DENVER – Rockies manager Jim Tracy said the decision to bring up Eric Young Jr. instead of Jonathan Herrera, was to protect Herrera from waivers…”

On Aug 10, 2010 Tracy Ringolsby wrote: “Herrera, however, had an option left so the Rockies were able to create space without losing a player. He will be called back up when the rosters expand on Sept. 1, if not earlier. Herrera has shown he belongs in the big leagues, and his effort the last two months has forced the Rockies to figure out where he will fit next year.”

I thought we finally had this figured out a few weeks ago. Does J. Herrera have options left or not? I’d swear the consensus was he did and, if that’s correct, would someone please clue in Jim Tracy. Or is this just part of the dance where management wants to see other players without admitting they’ve thrown in the towel?

As Prog recently pointed out, it’s getting difficult to discern actual injuries from those designed to open up roster spots. If we’re already playing for next year, it would certainly provide answers to some of Jim Tracy’s recent moves or lack thereof.

• Karl | August 15, 2010 | 8:34 am

Good point Doc, I would like this answered as well if possible. I did really like the speed at the top of the lineup by EY last night though.

• Mike Raysfan | August 15, 2010 | 11:47 am

Doc, I’m as confused as you.

I will admit I was somewhat shocked to see EY on the field and then the announced lineup. I had no clue what was going on. I guess it’s the one big disadvantage of being at the game. I almost walked out to center just to ask Mr. Ringolsby what the hec was going on. The people sitting next to us said that the Rockies were worried Herrera wouldn’t clear waviers. NO KIDDING.

When I got home I hit the DVR button only to hear Drew Goodman use the word “exposed” What does that mean? “exposed to waviers”

Like you, I also thought he would be subjected to waviers but thought it was cleared up on here when he was sent down.