Rockies No. 1 draft pick feeling pain as QB

October 17, 2010 | 8:58 am | 14

Clemson quarterback Kyle Parker, the Rockies No. 1 draft choice in June, is playing despite continuing soreness in his ribs from a hit he took in a Sept. 18 game agianst Auburn. Parker was only 7-for-20 for 106 yards passing and rushed for 41 yards in Clemson’s 31-7 win against Maryland on Saturday.

Parker’s throwing is limited by the soreness in the ribcage, but he has continued to play.

“He took another step forward in terms of being healthier,” said Clemson offensive coordinator Billy Nappier.

Parker agreed.

“I feel a lot better,” he said. “I could move around a little better. But there were some throws I thought I should have made.”

Clemson is 3-3, snapping a three-game losing streak with the victory against Maryland.

It hasn’t been the season Parker hoped for when he turned down a $2.2 million signing bonus from the Rockies to return to Clemson for another year of football. Parker later signed with the Rockies for $1.4 million, and was allowed to play football.

• Bill | October 17, 2010 | 10:13 am

Not quite sure why the Rockies continue to take chances on guys who want to play football. It’s ok in the later rounds but using your number one draft choice on somebody who would rather play football seems crazy. The guy gave up $800,000 for crying out loud. I would presume that most big-leaguers have a clause in their contracts that prohibit them from participating in “dangerous” activities.

If I’m not mistaken Helton and Seth Smith were drafted after they played college football. And they didn’t play that much anyway. I guess Helton was a starter until Peyton came along.

• Agbayani | October 17, 2010 | 10:42 am

Football injuries are a given, and I’m sure draft guys like Schmidt and Geveitt are sweating this college football season out.

Still, for non-pitchers, I can’t really think of anybody who had a “career-ending” (or even seriously career-threatening) sports injuries in recent years. It’s just not that common with sports medicine today, and I’m sure the Rox took this into account when signing Parker. And it was a good deal for Parker: he gets to live his dream of being the starting quarterback again at a football-crazy school, while raking in $1.2 million of insurance should he suffer a serious injury (which would have greatly lowered his draft status in baseball). I liked the draft pick and signing, and I still do — it showed some guts, and a real attempt to get a guy with maybe high first round talent with a low first round pick.

• Tracy Ringolsby | October 17, 2010 | 12:18 pm

Agbayanni, I agree with you. Two sport stars are quality picks, if you do your homework and make sure their real interest is baseball, which I think is the case with Parker.
    If they don’t know what sport they want to play the concern is that when they hit tough spots they start to think about returning to the other and don’t make the full mental commitment to be the best they can in baseball.

• steve | October 17, 2010 | 7:02 pm

On the flip side – 4th round pick Russell Wilson, the QB at rival ACC school North Carolina State University – is having a big year.

• Cameo | October 18, 2010 | 7:50 am

I think drafting Parker was a classic case of the Rox needing a right handed power bat in their system. They went after who they thought was the best on the board to fill that need regardless of his desire to play football.

• Miketober | October 18, 2010 | 8:37 pm

Sorry Tracy for being WAY off topic here.
    I was just voting for the This Year in Baseball Awards on MLB.com. The Rockies were very well represented.

CarGo for best hitter
    Ubaldo for Best Starter
    Tulo for Defense (of course)
    Smith for X-Factor
    CarGo for Breakout Season
    CarGo’s catch Sept 25 in clutch plays
    Nelson stealing home in Must C Moment
    CarGo and Ubaldo for Performance
    Fowler for Oddity (when he lost his glove over the wall in KC)
    The 12-10 comeback against Atlanta in Best Game

There were only 10 nominees in each category, so that’s a very good showing.

• Jeff | October 18, 2010 | 9:39 pm

Off topic but was curious ofhow old Dan O’Dowd is. He has done a solid job. Thanks.

• Jack Etkin | October 18, 2010 | 10:09 pm

Jeff,

To answer your question _ Dan O’Dowd is 51.

• Bill | October 18, 2010 | 10:27 pm

I’m really off topic here, but whatever the budget is to sign Free Agent pitchers, throw it out and sign Cliff Lee.

• Rich M | October 19, 2010 | 7:19 am

Yep its hard to stay on topic about a player that has exactly zero professional ABs or innings played. However if my recollection is correct a guy named Cliff Lee pretty much shut down the Rockies lineup last post season in the NLDS.

Now if Lee can pitch two more times (he won’t) the Rangers will win the series. The lesson learned (2010 especially) is that really good pitching stops really good hitting most of the time.

Steve can you explain the rule in baseball that prohibits trading draft picks. I seem to recall that there is some rule that would keep the Rockies from trading Parker to another MLB team, however I am not suggesting that they should?

• Miketober | October 19, 2010 | 7:25 am

As I recall Lee beat the Rox in Game 1 last year but Ubaldo “beat” him in Game 4 (unfortunately Ryan Howard beat Street and we lost the game).

• sabrchip | October 19, 2010 | 8:50 am

Lee would never sign with Colorado even if you gave him the key to Fort Knox. Why waste the time? Besides he’ll be back in the A.L. next year playing for either the Yanks or BoSox.

Rangers need to close it out in six so they can have Lee open the WS.

So if Parker has trouble throwing because of his ribs, what keeps defenses from chasing him out of the pocket with blitzing that leaves him vulnerable to open field tackles?

• Jeff | October 19, 2010 | 9:43 am

Thanks Jack. Younger than I thought!

• Anonymous | October 23, 2010 | 1:53 pm

As if Cliff lee would want to come here to colo.. Haven’t you heard,
    sliders and curveballs come here to die! Or maybe it’s just phsycological?