Blackmon shows some pop in Arizona Fall League

October 31, 2010 | 4:06 pm | 16

Colorado Rockies outfield prospect Charlie Blackmon had minor power surge during the past week in the Arizona Fall League, going 6-for-14 (.429) with a double, two home runs, four RBI and six runs scored in four games. Blackmon, who started the fall in an 0-for-11 slump is hitting .286 and is tied for second in the league with three home runs.

Jordan Pacheco, C: In four games, Pacheco nearly matched Blackmon, also going 6-for-14 (.429) with a double, triple, two RBI and four runs scored. He continues to split time between catcher, first base and designated hitter and is hitting. 406 with a .513 on-base percentage in nine fall games.

Thomas Field, SS: After a rough start to the fall, Field has at least one hit in three consecutive games and was 2-for-8 during two games during the past week.

Bruce Billings, RHP: Billings had his first rough outing of the fall when he took a loss after allowing two runs on three hits in an inning. But he followed it up with a scoreless outing later in the week and for the fall has a 3.60 ERA in four appearances.

Rex Brothers, LHP: Brothers made just one appearance during the week and allowed two walks and struck out one in an inning. For the fall, he has a 4.50 ERA and 10 strikeouts in six innings.

Adam Jorgenson, RHP: Like Billings, he had his first rough appearance of the fall this week when he allowed two runs on two hits and a walk in a one-third of an inning. For the fall, he has a 3.38 ERA in six appearances.

Greg Reynolds, RHP: After two strong outings, Reynolds struggled in his third, allowing three runs on five hits and a walk in three innings, but struck out five. He is 0-2 with a 4.50 ERA for the fall.

• Cameo | November 1, 2010 | 7:47 am

• ProgMatinee | November 1, 2010 | 9:35 am

“Cameo said:
    Again, the best part about baseball is the excitement your future prospects bring to your team. I’m ready to see what the Rox do with their big league team in the off season. We all know changes are a comin, but can we make a big change??”

Unfortunately this is true mainly when you’re following historically losing clubs or teams that don’t always retain their greatest players.

I like following the kids too, but I’d rather find my excitement with a line up full of big league proven superstars like the Phillies or Yankees.

• Julian | November 1, 2010 | 10:05 am

I get what both of you are saying. I also like tracking the kids. But it’s more fun when the kids mature and become major league studs for the Rockies. Hopefully, one or more of these guys will mature and become studs.

• Rich M | November 1, 2010 | 12:38 pm

Only three of these guys are currently ranked among the Rockies top 20 prospoects – Brothers at #8, Blackmon at #12, and Pacheco at #18. The other guys will have a chance to play at the big league level, but the odds are pretty long that they will be impact players for the Rockies.

Although he has no real position (and I think that is holding back his prospect status), I like Pacheco the best of the bunch. Greg Reynolds really needs to come on strong or he will likely be gone.

Placing my hopes for new 2011 pitching help on Deduno and Rogers, while we will have to wait for Friedrich, Matzek and Bettis

• Jeff | November 1, 2010 | 2:07 pm

Reynolds mph today looks to top out at 89-90. I would love to see him get to the next level but have been unimpressed, even prior to the last series of injuries. Does anyone know what he was hitting at Stanford on the fastball?

Sinking pitches don’t have to be 95+. But by stats this fall, the movement must be inconsistent. One can hope. But glad now there are other potentials also.

Thanks for the updates!

• Agbayani | November 1, 2010 | 8:26 pm

Jeff, are you watching games down in AZ, or just speculating on Reynolds’ velocity? I mean, I’m guessing you’re right, but I’m just wondering if you’ve actually watched him or heard some inside info from a Rockies guy with a radar gun.

• Julian | November 1, 2010 | 9:36 pm

According to the box score, Reynolds got bombed in the AFL today. At least Pacheco and Blackmon did well.

• Cameo | November 1, 2010 | 9:40 pm

Second, unless your the Yankees or Phillies or Red Sox or sometimes the NYM, LAD, LAA you will always be looking for your next bunch of prospects coming up. Baseball is the best sport ever, but by far the worst part about it is there are a handful of teams that can buy the best players. The rest are left to spend big on one player(maybe) and then go cheap everywhere else. Look at the Twins, Mauer is their guy but they won’t spend big anywhere else. The Rox have been that way with Helton. That’s the way it is. But baseball apologists say parity is alive just because different teams win the WS all the time. My definition of parity is up and down MLB. So ask the Pirates and Royals about parity? Why is the NFL the most popular sport? The Cowboys are the closest thing to the Yankees, and look at them this year. 1-6. They were supposed to be the most talented team coming into the year and they have bombed. The Vikings went 13-3 last season and now they are 2-5. That is parity. The 210 million dollar Yankees playing a regular season game against the Royals doesn’t excite anyone cuz it’s not going to be a competitive series. Now yes the Royals have beat the Yankees before, and yes in a one game scenario anybody can beat anybody. But you all know what I mean. The Twins have had good teams over the years, but they can’t beat the Yankees for squat. Sometimes one team just has another team’s number, but it sure is easier to win when you can go buy the best player on the market and have nobody to compete with. They outbid everyone. Sorry I went on way too much there and got off the point a bit too. But my point is most teams can’t keep an established group of MLB hitter’s together cuz the Yankees(or a few others) buy them out of their respective teams hands.

• ProgMatinee | November 2, 2010 | 8:35 am

“Cameo said:
    First off, do we really have to “quote” a post that is right above your post? LOL. Guys just reference the name or the post, we don’t have to re-write it.”

;) just wanted to annoy you. Just kidding!

Regarding parity. Knowing that your team has a shot is obviously a good thing, but I personally don’t find enjoyment in seeing first to worst teams like in the NFL.

I think the NFL is at a brink of crisis and parity perhaps has been a primary cause. Teams have ASSUMED partiy and began to think that you don’t have to invest in a core of players to win. Almost no team in the NFL anymore has more than 2 superstars on any side of the ball. There are no 80s Niners or 90s Cowboys or Bils or 2000 Rams anymore with 3 superstars on 1 offense. And I think it makes for really really boring entertainment. Look at the number of teams in the NFL currently 2-5 or worse. There are 9! of them. Thats almost a third of the teams in the NFL with less than .300 win percentage. And you’re right, next year the records may be completely flipped around (largely because of the way the NFL bases the schedules).

Thats not competive balance, its just a sign of a watered down talent pool creating a “roll of the dice” type situation. I’d much rather see teams build powerful rosters than simply ride rollercoaster of chance.

• ProgMatinee | November 2, 2010 | 8:40 am

This is WAY OFF TOPIC, but does anyone think the Rockies should look at some uniform tweeks? I’d really like to see the Rockies come up with a purple alternate uniform again, something cutting edge maybe incorporating the mountains somehow would be really cool.

• Eric G. | November 2, 2010 | 8:52 am

I wish they would get rid of the black cut-off jerseys. I really don’t like those for some reason. My favorite is their traditional home uniform with the ROCKIES across the chest.

• ProgMatinee | November 2, 2010 | 11:22 am

My favorite are the black cut offs. Love the striping on them. I wouldn’t mind seeing those changed to sleeved versions though.

• Anonymous | November 2, 2010 | 12:39 pm

Yeah I would definitely like to see a uniform with more purple. The all purple they had wasn’t a good uni, but they need better unis. I like what Atlanta has done with their “3rd jersey”. They wear it at home on Sundays. Something like that would be cool.

• Eric G. | November 2, 2010 | 12:59 pm

The striping is what I don’t like about them. You’re right, maybe if they weren’t cutoffs I would like them a little better then I do now.

• ProgMatinee | November 2, 2010 | 1:09 pm

The striping on the black reminds me of 80s unis like the Cardinals and Blue Jays.

I was fooling around with concepts the otherday and came up with the worst idea ever, but would certainly be unique. Remember in the 80s how teams like the Cards, Phillies, Expos wore that powder blue on the road? Imagine if the Rockies were around in 1984 and wore powder purple on the road! LOL!!!!

• Jeff | November 2, 2010 | 3:19 pm

Agbayani, I got Reynold’s mph off of the Gametrack at MBL.com. With the Fall games it is hit and miss if they give you the speed and movement on the piches. I assume you are familiar with that. Reynold’s pitches lacked both from what I could tell in a very blind way. Tragically he got hammered. It would be great to see him overcome these injuries he has suffered from.