Does Melo’s exit elevate Rockies?

February 21, 2011 | 9:06 pm | 11

The long-anticipated trade of Carmelo Anthony is finally done, with the now-former Denver Nuggets star going to the New York Knicks along with Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Blackman for Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov and three draft picks.

The answer to this question will be fairly predictable given the sympathies of this site’s readers, but I thought I would ask it anyway: how much better do the Colorado Rockies look now coming off an offseason during which they managed to keep their two best players for the foreseeable future?

• ProgMatinee | February 22, 2011 | 8:24 am

Rockies probably move up a bit compared to the Nuggets, but there still will be inadequat coverage of the Rockies in local media, especially the radio due to the Broncos. April should be all about baseball, but the NFL draft for the Broncos will be all they talk about.

• Steve Foster | February 22, 2011 | 8:35 am

True, Prog. I can tell you from years working in newspapers in the Denver metro area, editors around here have a love affair with the Broncos that might exceed actual fan interest; it’s a kneejerk reaction to all things Broncos that presumes that everyone in the Denver metro area cares about the Broncos above all else. I wouldn’t say that the Broncos have fallen to No. 2 status among fans, but if a Denver newspaper could only cover one game on a Sunday in September, Broncos or Rockies, it would be the Broncos, no question, regardless of where the Rockies were in the standings. But I’m not sure that the choice would be as clearcut as it once was on the same day for a fan buying a ticket or picking a channel on TV . Maybe as a baseball-first guy, my vision is clouded on this but it feels like collectively the Denver area has woken up to the Rockies.

But as far as the Nuggets go, without considering the actual talent going both ways in the trade, losing the team’s two most recognizable players is not a good PR strategy. Now that the Melo drama is over, the Rockies are clearly back in front of local consciousness.

• ProgMatinee | February 22, 2011 | 8:46 am

I was only too recently moved to Denver back in 95 (and was a Tribe fan at the time) to see the Rockies’ biggest fan years. I didn’t go to a Rox game until well after their sell out streak ended and the bandwagon ride at the time was over.

It would really be tremendous to see the Rockies sell out a majority of their games. I love the large crowds at games, though I dread the increase of the clueless fans.

I didn’t really apprieciate the 10 year olds who sat ahead of me during the 2007 playoffs who were more eager to hold up their large poster boards and get on TV than actually watch the game.

• Karl | February 22, 2011 | 10:45 am

I think our town and the surrounding region has a legitimate chance to really be a Rockies town now. Arguments of the O’s being here, i.e Tulo Cargo and Ubaldo and then other veteran players who want to come here at ‘discounts’, i.e. Wiggington and Giambi because they believe in this team and the organization as a whole. They loyalty that ownership has cutlivated with recent deals fosters loyalty as well with the fans if the team succeeds.

If this team does succeed, this town really can become a baseball town. I too am a transplant from all over the country, but it’s now my home for my family and I don’t ever see us leaving. I think there are a lot of fans like me too and they may have cheered on other teams in their youth, but have fallen for the Rockies and the organization.

I don’t know what to call us as Rockies fans. Maybe we have now grown from the GeneRation R Rockies with Todd and the Toddlers to now potentiallly being The GenerRation Nation? Might be too close to the Red Sox name though. Might have to think about some more.

• Mike Raysfan | February 22, 2011 | 10:55 am

I agree Steve and Prog. More than you could possibly imagine.

There have been several times I lost my mind with the seemingly lack of media baseball interest during crucial parts of a season. Look no further than the archives of the DP and you can read my displeasure.

KOA 850? I sent an email to KOA 850 and expressed my displeasure about a couple of things. I did receive an email back from a program director explaining contractual agreements blah blah blah

1) Their slogan is bunk and I told them they should change it. It should say home of the Broncos, Rockies, and Buffs as long as there is NOTHING happening with the Broncos. My perception is, they will cover a John Elway tweet over anything Rockies.

2) The Rockies were in a chase for the playoffs and they move critical games to their sister station? To cover meaningless pre-season Broncos nothing? Are you kidding me?

That may be fine if you are in metro Denver but it doesn’t do much for Rockies fans outside the small coverage area.

Last season KOA did seem to cover more baseball topics and I believe that can be directly attributed to Dave Krieger being on air. Nothing against Dave Logan.

The DP? Hundreds of responses to a Broncos story yet only maybe 2 dozen, on average, responses to a baseball story. There are a few exceptions but in general, there are more fan responses when Kiszla writes something baseball than any other time. Easily verified. NOT because it’s a baseball story. Because Mark Kiszla wrote it. The writer that seemingly everyone in CO loves to hate.

Ok rant off and back on topic. To be honest, it wouldn’t be hard for the Rockies to over take the Nuggets media coverage. Will it translate to more vocal and/or online fan support or coverage? I think the fans have already started transitioning to voice more Rockies support over the Nuggets and Avs.

• Swam | February 22, 2011 | 1:07 pm

Would it be possible to lockout the NBA players right now? I can’t wait to see what ESPN does this time next year with no pro basketball and no love for the NHL. Hopefully that translates to more MLB offseason coverage (if that’s even possible). Hey Prog, originally from the Strongsville area here. Still have a warm place in my heart for the Tribe – even during rebuilding.

• Colorado Thistle | February 22, 2011 | 3:37 pm

I think it will elevate the Rockies to some degree, but it will certainly further elevate Todd, Tulo, and Cargo with the Rockies’ fans.

Loyalty to this area gets rewarded through life long adulation. I think Cargo gained the most by his contract in contrast to Melo’s departure. His desire to stay (like Helton and Tulowitski’s) will be rewarded by the fans.

With consistency in the faces of the franchise, the Rockies will continue to rise in status in this Bronco town.

• Robb | February 22, 2011 | 3:43 pm

If the Rockies take advantage of this time and hit the ground running in April, they can really gain ground. But, if they come out slow the Broncos draft will rule and then mini-camps. The Nuggets are yesterday’s news, although I am interested to see what they do now with theam.

• ProgMatinee | February 22, 2011 | 4:46 pm

Thistle, great point about the individual players who show loyalty really do get the biggest adulation from the fans.

Its unfortunate that Chauncy got dragged into the trade because all accounts seemed to indicate he wanted to finish his career in his hometown.

• Rich M | February 23, 2011 | 9:05 am

Its wierd I will probably start to follow the Nuggets again now that the Melo-saga is over. Really didn’t feel like the organization or the players cared about getting to and winning in the playoffs before.

The old Nuggets looked great last night against Memphis. Hope the new guys will develop into a Nuggets team worth watching! That said this might be the last year for Kmart and Bird, unless they were injured – they both looked slow on the court.

And finally how many shots will JR take now that Melo is gone?

• Mike Raysfan | February 24, 2011 | 10:21 am

Too funny, ok so above I went on a small rant about local media coverage.

Not to beat a dead horse or beleaguer the point, this morning I was listening to 850 KOA. Do they have any interesting reports from spring training? Nope. Instead they are covering the NFL Combines with LIVE reports! Live reports from the combine? wow Seriously?

And why do I wonder why my perception is they will cover anything Broncos over the Rockies??? I think that (live combine coverage) pretty much sums it up.