Rockies trade reliever Morales to Red Sox, recall Daley

May 19, 2011 | 8:51 pm | 36

The Colorado Rockies have traded left-handed reliever Franklin Morales to the Boston Red Sox for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Right-hander Matt Daley will be recalled and join the team in Milwaukee on Friday.

Morales, 25, was 0-1 with a 3.86 ERA in 14 appearances with the Rockies in 2011. In his Rockies career spanning parts of the past five seasons, Morales was 7-11 with 10 saves and 4.83 ERA. Morales joined the Rockies in the August 2007 when the pitching staff was hit with a string of injuries, and he later pitched for the Rockies in the postseason, starting one game each in the first two series against the Philadelphia Phillies and Arizona Diamondbacks and making two relief appearances in the World Series against the Boston Red Sox.

Morales made an initially successful conversion to the bullpen in 2009. He opened the 2010 season as the Rockies closer when Huston Street went on the disabled list, but control problems soon pushed Morales out of the role and eventually back to the minors. While Morales has been more effective this season, the Rockies have been reluctant to use him in key situations. He is out of options, and combined with the ineffectiveness of right-hander Felipe Paulino, the Rockies have been using a short bullpen in key games.

Daley, 28, has pitched part of the past two seasons with the Rockies. After a solid spring training, Daley was a victim of circumstances as he was one of the few Rockies relievers with options remaining. At Triple-A Colorado Springs, Daley is 0-2 with a 6.82 ERA. Nine of the 10 earned runs he has allowed in 14 1/3 innings have come in 1 2/3 innings in his past three outings.

• Karl | May 19, 2011 | 9:04 pm

A tad surprised that they are calling up Daley, but hoping that his recent games are not indicative of where he is at and his experience will suit later situations where he will come in and throw strikes. Expecting to still see Brothers up this year still aren’t we?

Wish Morales well and glad he is in AL where if he does succeed it’s not against the Rox. Will be tough and his mental makeup will be surely tested right away in the high pressure AL east division. Again, hope he does well.

• Julian | May 19, 2011 | 9:04 pm

Hopefully, this will be our revenge for the Red Sox trading Delcarman to us. (BTW, does anyone know how Balcom-Miller is doing this year?)

How is it determined who the player to be named later will be or whether it will be cash, and, if so, how much?

I’m surprised that it’s Daley coming up and not Brothers both because Brothers is a lefty and because Daley has stunk in his last several outings.

• Steve Foster | May 19, 2011 | 9:12 pm

Just guessing at this point, but it may be Daley over Brothers in part because it leaves a spot on the 40-man open right now. With the injury to CarGo, Rockies may want to see the seriousness of that injury first to know whether they will need to add someone who isn’t on the 40-man.

A player to be named sometimes comes from a list of predetermined players that for whatever reason the teams were unable to settle on at the time of the trade. Given the circumstances, here the Rockies were clearly just trying to find a home for Morales because they couldn’t keep going with two relievers they’re reluctant to use in key situations. If the Rockies/Red Sox can’t agree on a player, then the deal will be for cash — an amount that won’t be disclosed.

• Jack Etkin | May 19, 2011 | 9:15 pm

Julian,

Balcom-Miller is 3-1, 2.10 at high Class A Salem in the Carolina League. He lost 1-0 to Wilmington on Thursday, giving up one hit _ a third-inning homer _ and one run in six innings with one walk and six strikeouts and 10 ground ball outs.
    In six starts this season, he has allowed 21 hits and eight walks in 30 innings with 33 strikeouts.

• RocketMan | May 19, 2011 | 9:17 pm

I really liked Morales in ’07 as he did well in a difficult and pressure packed situation, but he’s never made a shred of progress since then and most of us would opine that he’s regressed. Seems like Fickle Boston isn’t the best situation for him, but maybe he will thrive at sea level. We will have to see which Daley shows up, ’09 or ’10…

• progmatinee | May 19, 2011 | 9:18 pm

Ladies and gentleman our long Rockies national nightmare is over. Best of luck, but good riddance.

Shame that they couldn’t even get a name out of it.

• Cisco Kid | May 19, 2011 | 9:35 pm

Good luck to Frankie. Quite a few folks have wanted him gone for quite some time, but I hope that some time in the future we don’t look back and regret this move.

• progmatinee | May 19, 2011 | 9:41 pm

Cisco. Even if the guy succeeds in Boston, its still a good move to get rid of him. If that happens, good for the Sox, but that doesn’t change the fact that his roster spot is much better used on someone that is capable of getting us out of innings. How long do you keep a guy that blows games on a routine basis.

• Cameo | May 19, 2011 | 9:52 pm

Kind of funny cuz when Morales and Ubaldo both came up and were starting to make contributions to the big league team in 07, I thought Morales was going to be the one that turned into an ace. He seemed to be able to spot his fastball, I was thinking at the time that all he needs is experience and with this guys velocity and stuff, to go along with command, he would be dynamite. I was obviously wrong. LOL.

It also kind of sucks, this guy was such a highly touted prospect for so long and now all we can get for him is a player to be named later.

• Agbayani | May 19, 2011 | 9:55 pm

Reactions: (1) surprised the Red Sox took him since they’re obviously a competitive team and can’t afford the experiment. I would’ve guessed a club like the Mariners would be a better fit. (2) not surprised the Red Sox took him. One reason they’ve stayed on top for a decade or so is that they’re not afraid to take chances. Compare: Mariners. No real risk for Boston since they’re probably giving up next to nothing. I’d like Balcom-Miller back …

… I do think Daley’s a poor choice now since Brothers has been dominant and Daley, not so much lately. Not like there’s zero room on the 40-man which, after all, includes the definition of “replacement level” in guys like Amezaga, Cory Riordan, Cole Garner, Bruce Billings. In other words, not really a problem at all.

Goodbye, Frankie. And good luck at Fenway. You’re gonna need it.

• progmatinee | May 19, 2011 | 9:56 pm

its another DOD special. Compare these to how he overpays for mediocrity like Delcarman and its really upsetting.

• Michael | May 19, 2011 | 9:57 pm

I’ll try to stay positive and not say this is another chance for O’Dowd to get taken by Theo and Red Sox (Del Carmen was atrocious and for Balcolm-Miller who just keeps producing and will be a major leaguer).

While I want good things for Morales I just hope it’s not Boston who turns him around into something. My theory is though it’s near impossible (repeat, NEAR impossible) to turn guys with limited to no control into quality pitchers. Pitching in the AL is going to be even tougher for Morales. And if he thinks Rockies fans were frustrated, wait until he pitches in Fenway.

The Sox will likely send the Rockies someone like Turpen (who????) again.

And what’s up with these two teams? Are they lovers or something?

• Agbayani | May 19, 2011 | 10:09 pm

Cameo, I said the same thing back in ’07. I thought Frankie had a good chance to become a front-end starter whereas I thought Ubaldo would probably wind up as a setup man. So much for my scouting ability.

Red Sox dumped Okajima (DFA’d) to make room for Morales. Okajima’s 35 but I’d take a flyer on him. I’m sure the Rockies wouldn’t want to trade for him and take on his full salary. Have the Red Sox actually seen Morales pitch since the ’07 World Series????

• Doctor_Christopher | May 19, 2011 | 10:22 pm

I remain a fan of Franklin Morales, but for whatever reason, after his success in 09 as the closer (he did struggle a bit but you still wonder if they had used him instead of Street that playoff series against the Phils what might have happened), he seemed to shut down emotionally. Some guys just need a fresh start to make things click. He has all the talent in the world and for his sake I hope Boston gets it out of him (for an example of great arm but never able to get the mental part down, see one De La Rose, Jorge, as an example).I truly hope Franklin makes it big in BoSox land (even though I am a mild Yanks fan).

Why are we still sweating the DelCarmen trade. Look, we were in a pennent race, the guy had talent and a great arm (again, see Morales) and the management thought they could fix what was wrong. It was worth the risk, especially when you have two guys having MVP seasons and a guy who in many years would have won the CY. You don’t want to waste those kind of year, the pen was shot, and the team made the trade that was out there (its not like Mariano Rivera is available at that point in the year, you are trading for waiver cleared guys). If Manny had been brilliant the BoSox fans would be yelling about trading a guy who was KROD Mark 2.0 for some High A guy. Of course Manny ended up not only being a train wreck but an idiot, not taking the made to him (with more time, could DAC have turned it around?). As for Mr. Balcom-Miller, before we view this as the Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz trade, remember the guy is still only in high A, there is a lot of road between there and the bigs (and even more towards big league success), including especially injuries. Look, I would love to have him back, but the one thing we had and still have is pitching depth. The trade ended badly, but I do not knock DOD for that one…worth the risk in trying to get to the playoffs.

As for Daley…wow, really suprised they pulled this scenario given Matt’s latest outings (I love Matt for the record, how can you not love a non-draftee making it to the Show!). I did not see the outings. Maybe it was weather, or altitude or…who knows. I am guess that Paulino may be next on the block (or they just believe there is so much potential in that arm to give-up so quickly). The good news is that most of our righties can get left handed guys out (since we have only 1 LH down there, a little scary, especially with facing Fielder this weekend). Here is to hoping we get the Matt Daley of 09, of spring training, and of the first month in COS.

One last note. DOD is not going to sit pat. This team is built to not just make the playoffs or win the division, this team has one goal, to win the series. We all know that the parts are not quite there. I still wonder what DOD feels like are the deals he would love to make – a productive 3B, another stud reliever, another big bat. We are close with this team, really close. If someone in the Wiggy, Lopez, Steward, Fields, Nelson, EY, Craig Nettles group takes ownership of the 3B position, and everone plays at their norm, this team could be real contenders in any series.

Good luck Franklin. And Go Rockies!!!!

• Agbayani | May 19, 2011 | 10:29 pm

Dr. C, I agree with you on Paulino. He’s kind of a mystery to me and to a lot of stats-oriented fans. His component stats (K, BB, HR) always suggest better results than what he gets in the real world. So I still think he could be a valuable addition. It’s just hard to find situations (other than tonight) in which Tracy is comfortable using him.

Morales, on the other hand, has made exactly zero progress since 2007. He’s no longer that young, so now we’re left with a guy with a great arm and nothing to show for it. Sometimes these guys do turn it around. Usually not. The shame is that O’Dowd could’ve picked up something valuable. Right now, “cash considerations” will have to do.

• Reader f/k/a Mike | May 19, 2011 | 10:33 pm

They probably want to give Brothers a little more time despite his eye-popping K numbers this season. Morales’s problem was his wildness…Brothers’ career bb/9 in the minors: 4.8, Morales, 5.2. Brothers also struck out more so he had a better K/BB ratio, but then again, Morales spent most of his time in the minors as a starter, where it’s far more difficult to pile up big rate stats than as a reliever.

• Reader f/k/a Mike | May 19, 2011 | 10:35 pm

Agbayani, have you seen the back end of Boston’s bullpen, or most teams’ for that matter? It’s not pretty. So you take a cheap flyer on someone else’s failed prospect. I don’t think he’ll be successful there–they’ll end up releasing him and he’ll be picked up by the Cardinals where he’ll be a star.

• Cameo | May 19, 2011 | 10:45 pm

The Delcarman trade looks bad right now for sure, but lets just wait and see what Balcom-Miller actually does. If CBM never makes it to the bigs, then that trade wasn’t bad for the Rox.

If you ask me Dan O’dowd is one of the best GM’s in the business. He has turned a perennial loser into a competitive team every year. He definitely made mistakes especially in his early years, but he figured out a strategy that is going to work for the Rox and they have stuck by it. There is not one GM out there that hasn’t made bad trades. Every GM makes bad trades.

• Trip | May 19, 2011 | 11:01 pm

I am guessing we don’t see Brothers until June at the earliest. That could potentially save the Rocks a lot of money by waiting a a couple more weeks.

• GARY | May 20, 2011 | 12:13 am

Don’t get Daley[whom I really like]now that he is struggling,and not Brothers.But DOD maybe looking to June,when Cook becomes #5 starter,and Mortensen replaces either Daley,or Paulino.If that doesnt work then Brothers replaces one or the other and hopefully Mortensen sticks and continues his brilliance out of the pen.

• Agbayani | May 20, 2011 | 12:32 am

People need a reality check on Mortensen. Pleasant surprise? Yes. But that’s built on a completely unsustainable .172 batting average on balls in play against him in his 22 or so innings. He’ll come back to earth very shortly.

• Jaredean | May 20, 2011 | 1:45 am

I remember in ’07 thinking Morales was legit and have found myself yelling “NO!” over the past 3 years when I see him warming up. My wife knows I have no faith in him, even when he is pitching well because he is one walk or one hit away from a major meltdown. The thing is, as much as I don’t want him in there I REALLY wanted him to do well because I felt so freaking bad for him. And you saw sparks of sick talent. I just knew it wouldn’t last. I do wish him the best and although I’m not a red sox fan I always cheer for previous Rockies players no matter where they are.

• miketober | May 20, 2011 | 7:16 am

Good luck in Boston Frankie.

• Adam | May 20, 2011 | 7:26 am

It’s also possible that the Red Sox and the Rockies have agreed on the “player to be named” but that player isn’t eligible to be traded yet.

• Curt in Florida | May 20, 2011 | 7:54 am

I thought it was fairly comical to listen to Harold Reynolds and Billy Ripken crowing late last night about how the Red Sox had fooled DOD into handing them a ‘big lefthanded power arm who can make a difference’ in Morales. They clearly had not seen the guy pitch, no less seen him come into games and quickly develop flopsweat as he fell behind hitter after hitter. To me, this is addition by subtraction for the Rox regardless of who comes back from Boston (maybe Balcolm-Miller?).

• Robb | May 20, 2011 | 8:09 am

I wish Morales well. Nobody wants to perform poorly and I am sure he wishes more than anyone that things worked out better for him here in Denver. I still think he was worth more than the Red Sox gave up for him; I would have traded Paulino for that to save the $$. Of course, other teams aren’t going to take Paulino at his salary so the Rockies are stuck or have to just release him I think. I would have gone ahead and brought up Brothers. I understand that Daley has the experience and there might be 40 man issues here, but Brothers deserved it. If Cargo goes on the DL, then Blackmon has to be called up right? Can’t see them calling up Taveras; they need some power to replace Cargo not another speed guy.

• Brad | May 20, 2011 | 8:36 am

Thank you, God!

• Rocky | May 20, 2011 | 9:41 am

This wonderful news makes me almost as happy as the Giambino’s three homers last nite. Curt in Florida nailed it. “Flopsweat”, yup, that’s Frankie.

• Trip | May 20, 2011 | 9:44 am

Agbayani,
    What you say is interesting. But, I’m curious. However, that’s a good defense behind him. What is BABIP of the rest of the Rocks staff?

• progmatinee | May 20, 2011 | 10:19 am

Agbayani, you need to get out of the stats a bit and enjoy the good things while they last.

• Mike Raysfan | May 20, 2011 | 12:35 pm

I’m sorry to see him go. There is little doubt he does have the ability to be a flame thrower. For whatever reason, coach Apodaca never got through to him. It’s too bad.

Curt, one thing to keep in mind is Harold Reynolds is a Rockies fan. There is absolutely no denying their comments that Morales is “big lefthanded power arm who can make a difference”. If another coaching staff does manage to get through to him, just hope he doesn’t face the Rockies often.

The comments by them didn’t bother me. The comments by another national talking head show did. The Dodgers are the competition for the Giants? Seriously? I disagree we are seeing the “real Rockies”.

Won’t surprise me if down the road we see the deal completed by “cash considerations”

• jaredean | May 20, 2011 | 12:55 pm

I’m really surprised at the comments about Daley…the guy goes through ST without a run, doesn’t make the club so he pitches lights out and still doesn’t get the call up…yes, his last few outings have been rough but look at Ubaldo – his last few outings have been rough too! I love Daley and thought he should have been on the team opening day – i’m really hoping he does well because when he is on he is fire down the middle…i also want Belisle to start throwing a little better, like last year…if we had the Mad Matt’s (Belisle, Reynolds, Lindstrom and now Daley) hitting on all cylinders we will be VERY hard to beat!

By the way, feel free to start calling our BP Huston and the Mad Matt’s!!!

• GARY | May 20, 2011 | 3:52 pm

Like it Jaredean!With my limited typing skills,I may go w/H.Street and M&M’s.Or even M.St.& M/M’s.Hope Daley refinds himself as always liked him.Hasn’t he had fair sucess against lefties-thus his sucess in middle relief?Agbayani?

• elrodvt | May 20, 2011 | 4:05 pm

Agbayani, good post I agree. Let’s hope coming to earth is serviceable. I think he could provide valuable innings in long relief. You always need that guy and have to love his attitude.

• Rich M | May 21, 2011 | 11:00 am

The DanO fans are out in force defending the Delcarmen fleecing saying that CBM has yet to pitch well above Advanced A baseball. Here’s the point guys, a pitcher who “dominates with control” while continuing to advance up the minor league ladder has an excellent chance to be a very good MLB pitcher and as such CBM will be a very effective MLB pitcher.

Walks and Coors Field is a not the ideal combination that you should covet in a prospect pitcher. This is exactly why I would take CBM over Matzek at similar points in their careers. If DanO had traded Matzek for Decarmen, you would ALL be calling for his head on a platter – just some food for thought.

• Agbayani | May 24, 2011 | 9:43 am

Morales update: made his Red Sox debut on Saturday. I have to quote this Boston Globe blog: “Franklin Morales then made his Boston debut. Uggh. Facing DeWitt, Morales got a taste of the Wall. He allowed a double off it, as as two more runs scored.” That’s our Frankie all right!