Rockies recall Nelson, designate Amezaga for assignment

May 29, 2011 | 10:49 am | 12

The Colorado Rockies have recalled infielder Chris Nelson from Triple-A Colorado springs and designated utility man Alfredo Amezaga for assignment. Nelson is will be available for Sunday’s game against the St. Louis Cardinals.

Nelson was in the lineup for the Triple-A Colorado Springs Sky Sox on Saturday. The former first-round pick by the Rockies made his major league debut last season and played 17 games during three stints with the team. Nelson, 25, has played primarily shortstop — 40 games at short, eight at second base and four at third — in the Sky Sox’s crowded infield this season and is hitting .315 with five home runs and 40 RBI.

Amezaga joined the Rockies on April 29. He hit .242 with two RBI in 38 at-bats while playing second base, third, shortstop and right field for the Rockies.

Manager Jim Tracy said if Amezega is not claimed by another club he has agreed to return to Triple-A Colorado Springs. Amezega underwent microfracture surgery on his left knee during the 2009 and missed virtually all the 2010 season. Scouts at Coors Field this weekend said Amezega isn’t running as well as he once did, something Tracy mentioned Sunday morning when discussing the roster move.

“I know there’s another gear he’s got, and he needs additional playing time in order to to be able to find it,” Tracy said.

Nelson gives the Rockies another option at third base, now that they have cut ties with Jose Lopez, and can provide some extra-base power at that offensive position when he spells Ty Wigginton. Nelson is also athletic enough to back up at second base and shortstop.

• Mike Raysfan | May 29, 2011 | 10:56 am

Must have just happened because as of 10:32 nothing has happened according to MLB.

More news to make some happy. The blame list is now even shorter.

• Wayne | May 29, 2011 | 10:59 am

There is really nothing left on the blame list except someone (or 2) in the bullpen.

• Wayne | May 29, 2011 | 11:02 am

I like the move and thought Chris was more than deserving of a try. Amezaga had one asset and that was his versatility. However I think we are covered because Wigginton and EY2 can both fill in the OF (hopefully not CF).

• Joby | May 29, 2011 | 11:05 am

While Nelson seems likely to take the utility infielder role, will he play the bulk of his time replacing Herrerra/EY, or is there any chance be will see split time with Wiggington at third. I have been big on Wiggington since they got him, but I don’t know that he will provide a solid consistent bat at third. And while I don’t think Nelson can be the answer either (in terms of power) a potential video-game lineup with Fowler (CF), Herrerra (2B), EY( LF?), and Nelson (3B) would would be… Cool :) not likely, I know, but it would be fun! That being said, will Nelson play much third?

• Mike Raysfan | May 29, 2011 | 11:14 am

I think Nelson will play much 3rd. They will at least give him a serious shot at filling that “void” that many media outlets are talking about.

• rockymountainhigh | May 29, 2011 | 11:43 am

Wow. I tweeted last night during the game that Wiggy looked awful at the plate. That screams for a Chris Nelson callup. Were the Rockies reading my tweets ?

• progmatinee | May 29, 2011 | 11:45 am

The good news is even if this team doesn’t hit the next gear and retakes the division lead at least we should get a prolonged look at the different variables that might be available next year and what to do with them going forward.

• miketober | May 29, 2011 | 12:41 pm

I’m glad Nelson is coming up, but whoa Nelly! when it comes to handing him 3B right away. I think Wiggy’s offense has looked pretty good the last couple of weeks (I’ll have to check the stats). Sure he K-ed twice yesterday, but he followed that up with a BB, a hit, and a run scored. The first K was with the bases loaded and a 3-0 count, so you know he’s going to get the take sign twice there, which gives him only 1 strike to work with. The second K looked bad. Anyway I think 3B should be Wiggy’s for a while longer and use Nelson for PR and PH situations.

• Doctor_Christopher | May 30, 2011 | 9:18 am

Glad for Nelson, he has certainly played well the past two seasons in COS. Interesting that Amezega was viwed as still hurt. I have been really critical of him in part because there is no part of his game that above average, but it appears that speed used to be that one part. Maybe he can recover somethign in COS and still be an asset.

Nice to see home grown talent helping out up here (we shall see how much of a help). I was curious though about Nelson and not Josh Fields, who is a true 3B (ie, the Black Hole of Coors Field). Nelson certainly play there (and everywhere in the infield it seems), but Fields is having a great season in AAA, and has a little more pop. Anyways, nice to have options. Granted its the PCL, but Fields has a .677 slugging and an OPS of 1.135 (with 6 SB), to Nelson’s OPS of .849 (2SB 3CS).

We are still only 3.5 games back…and of the DBacks. I am still hopeful, as this team is a 2nd half team historically. But the Rox cannot let too many more 1 run games get past them.

• Eric M | May 30, 2011 | 9:37 am

What’s nice about this move is that, as progmatinee suggested, it gives the Rocks an extended chance to really look at some of their prospects that they’ve had down in COS for the past few years. Hopefully, they’ll have a better idea this offseason where they need to spend their ever-so-precious free agent dollars.

Next move on board…Rex Brothers!

• Doc | May 30, 2011 | 10:47 am

This would be a nice move Prog and Eric M except I doubt Tracy will use him effectively. If the reason to keep guys in AAA is have them play every day, it seems counterproductive to bring guys up to sit and watch. Once Nelson’s had time to get rusty, JT will run him out to 3B when Wiggy spells Helton. Of course, Herrera has had plenty of time to “rest” but he won’t start another game until the EY experiment is over.

• ColRox your Sox | June 1, 2011 | 6:01 pm

I just don’t understand this move. Nelson played shortstop in the minors. We all know he won’t be playing shortstop at this level unless to give Tulo an occasional rest. I don’t think the Rockies view him as a third baseman so this leaves us with three guys that have the same skill set (Herrera, EY, and now Nelson). All guys who have a little speed and very little pop who can play second but aren’t ever going to play third everyday. Granted I do think Nelson has the best opportunity to be our everyday starting second basemen but I just don’t understand having three guys up, so someone will have to go. IMO we need the most help at 3rd so why don’t we call up Fields or Emaus hitting .380 and .360 respectively to date. Why not give them a chance?