Rockies select high school outfielder with 2nd-round pick
The Colorado Rockies selected Carl Thomore, an outfielder from East Brunswick High in New Jersey, with their second-round pick and the 77th pick Tuesday in Major League Baseball’s draft.
Baseball America‘s Jim Callis describes Thomore, who bats right-handed, as a “grinder with plus power.” Thomore was rated the 112th best prospect by BA.
The rest of the Rockies’ second day draft:
- Third round, 107th: Peter O’Brien, catcher, R/R, Bethune Cookman. Power hitter who may end up as a first baseman. He was rated the 103rd prospect by BA and was once considered a potential late first-round pick.
- Fourth round, 138th : Dillon Thomas, outfield, L/L, Westbury Christian High School, Texas. Scouting video.
- Fifth round, 168th: Taylor Featherston, shortstop, R/R, Texas Christian University. Scouting video. He was rated the 142nd prospect by BA and profiles as an offensive second baseman.
- Sixth round, 198th: Chris Jensen, right-handed pitcher, University of San Diego. BA‘s Jim Callis describes him as a sleeper who is consistent but “touches 95 mph and flashes a power breaking ball.”
- Seventh round, 228th: Harold Riggins, first base, R/R, North Carolina State.
- Eighth round, 258th: Roberto Padilla, left-handed pitcher, San Jose State.
- Ninth round, 288th: Thomas Stripling, right-handed pitcher, Texas A&M.
- 10th round, 318th: Benjamin Hughes, right-handed pitcher, St. Olaf College.
- 11th round, 348th: Alex Gillingham, right-handed pitcher, Loyola Marymount University.
- 12th round, 378th: David Schuknecht, catcher, L/R, Palm Desert High School, California.
- 13th round, 408th: Kyle Roliard, left-handed pitcher, L/L, Louisiana Tech.
- 14th round, 438th: Brian Humphries, outfielder, L/R, Pepperdine University.
- 15th round, 468th: Timothy Smalling, shortstop, R/R, Virginia Tech.
- 16th round, 498th: Preston Tucker, first base, L/L, Florida.
- 17th round, 528th: William Ronkin, right-handed pitcher, Southern Polytechnic State, Alabama.
- 18th round, 558th: Benjamin Alsup, right-handed pitcher, Lousiana State.
- 19th round, 588th: Jason Meaux, right-handed pitcher, University of California – Santa Barbara.
- 20th round, 618th: Daniel Winkler, right-handed pitcher, Central Florida.
- 21st round, 648th: Jordan Ribera, first base, L/R, Fresno State.
- 22nd round, 678th: Logan Mahon, left-handed pitcher, Southeast Missouri State.
- 23rd round, 708th: Brook Hart, left-handed pitcher, Yale.
- 24th round, 738th: Connor McKay, outfield, R/R, Regis Jesuit High School.
- 25th round, 768th: Patrick Johnson, right-handed pitcher, North Carolina.
- 26th round, 798th: Michael Wolford, right-handed pitcher, University of California – Riverside.
- 27th round, 828th: Matthew Argyropoulous, third base, Washington State.
- 28th round, 858th: Joshua Correa, outfield, R/R Eloisa Pascual High School, Caguas, Puerto Rico. Scouting video.
- 29th round, 888th: Matthew Dermody, left-handed pitcher, University of Iowa.
- 30th round, 918th: John Curtiss, right-handed pitcher, Carroll High School, Southlake, Texas. Scouting video.