Sweep by Padres completes Rockies’ 0-7 homestand, worst in club history

September 21, 2011 | 3:43 pm | 30

A four-run first inning was all the offense the San Diego Padres needed in a 4-0 win Wednesday, spoiling the Colorado Rockies’ final home game of the season as well as what was likely franchise wins leader Aaron Cook‘s final start in Coors Field with the Rockies.

Four of the game’s first five hitters reached off Cook and the first two outs of the inning both resulted in runs on sacrifice flies. Two more runs scored in the inning with a pair of two-out RBI singles, and the Rockies were down 4-0 before coming to bat. Cook settled in as the game went on, allowing just two singles over the next four innings and matching a career high in strikeouts with eight. But the damage was done and a four-run deficit was too much for a team that again struggled to come up with hits.

Rockies hitters, who produced just one hit on Monday and seven on Tuesday, came up with just six in the series finale. The Rockies first hit didn’t come until two outs in the fourth inning when Dexter Fowler hit a ground-rule double. The best scoring opportunity came in the sixth inning when Chris Iannetta started the inning with a walk, stole second and moved to third on a one-out single by Eric Young Jr. But after Young stole second, both runners were stranded.

The loss and second straight series sweep on a winless homestand dropped the Rockies within 2 1/2 games of last place in the National League West. The 0-7 homestand was the worst in the franchise’s 19-year history with a minimum of two opponents. The Rockies went 1-7 against the Braves and Giants from May 6-13, 1993, in the club’s first season and the first of two they played at Mile High Stadium. The previous worst homestand at Coors Field was 1-6 against the Cardinals and Astros from July 23-29, 1999.

Cook took the loss to fall to 3-10. The free agent-to-be made his major league debut with the Rockies on Aug. 10, 2002, with two innings of relief and made his first major league start on Aug. 26 that season, allowing three earned runs in six innings. If he does not return to the Rockies in 2012, he will leave as the franchise leader in wins, innings and starts.

• dave in bayfield | September 21, 2011 | 4:17 pm

Glad I have other things this fall, like making a living, to keep my mind and attention off the Rox. Can’t believe they are drawing the home crowds they have done in this swan song, but thanks to the Denver folks for doing that. Maybe next year we can just start and finish games with the bullpen elements until DLR and the others are ready to go.

Also, thanks to the creators of and all the posters on this site, especially EdtheUmp, who keeps us all on an even keel.

• Alex Colfax | September 21, 2011 | 4:47 pm

Yet another lifeless game I had the misfortune to attend. This team shows no passion whatsoever and is truly an embarrassment. Just about every recent game is the same: get behind early, then make a futile late rally.

The players, coaches and management should cringe when reviewing this season. But will anyone be held accountable, beyond a couple of scouts fired yesterday?

One other note–I was surprised the Rockies didn’t find a way to allow Cook to exit to an ovation from the crowd. Instead, he was lifted after the fifth and the change was only apparent when Matt Reynolds took the mound to start the sixth.

And I can only assume Giambi was unavailable in the ninth, when the hapless Wigginton failed once more in an RISP situation.

• Karl | September 21, 2011 | 4:55 pm

I am glad the sleepless nights I have had with my 6 week old have buffered me lately in not seeing this abysmal season come to a close. What a horrible finish to the season.

Doc need your glasses for the offseason. I have had to change the channel in the first inning all too frequently in last month and had to change quite a few diapers. At least I know my kid will grow out of the diapers, right now the way this season is finishing, I am thinking some members of this ‘team’ could use some.

Wow, just can’t believe what a letdown this season has been.

Bigger perspective, there are other things in life that are bigger to deal with, but frustrating when outlets like this have become so difficult to watch. Still a fan and always will be, just hope there are some meaningful and well thought out changes. Perhaps Monforts should check out ITR and hire this site as consultants this off season. Wouldn’t that be fun to help them out. Sure seems like they need it.

• RocketMan | September 21, 2011 | 4:57 pm

Can we go 0-fer on the last road trip and beat last years collapse?

• ColRox your Sox | September 21, 2011 | 5:01 pm

Do you think Tulo and Cargo are already regretting their long term contracts they signed? The future does not look good.

• Julian | September 21, 2011 | 5:17 pm

I guess the bright spot is that our pitching staff threw 8 scoreless innings in a row. And the other bright spot is that the $9,000,000 that is freed up from not resigning Cook will come in handy during the offseason when we go after free agents and trades.

• progmatinee | September 21, 2011 | 5:37 pm

ColRox your Sox, do you think the Rox regret it?

• Sedin | September 21, 2011 | 5:56 pm

We rightfully complain about spare pieces like Wigginton, Young, Cook, Spilborghs etc., but you’re asking if the Rockies regret signing two of the best players in MLB? I would think not. This team has a myriad of problems, but shortstop and whatever OF position du jour CarGo plays are not among them.

I was at today’s fiasco of a home finale and didn’t see anything I didn’t expect. Cook gives up four in the first and hitters do nothing against a guy with very little big-league experience. Predicatbly dull, passionless effort comes as a way of thanking what the PA announcer terms “the greatest fans in the world” with an 0-7 fan appreciation homestand in which only two games were even close. Maybe we’re the biggest suckers in the world for attending games and supporting this team financially.

• roland | September 21, 2011 | 6:06 pm

0 – 7!! The Rockies really know how to stomp to death an already lousy season at Coors.

• progmatinee | September 21, 2011 | 6:25 pm

Sedin, the question is not “do the Rox regret HAVING them”. The question is do they regret SIGNING them to contracts that pay them more over the next 4 years than was necessary.

The Rox worry about what Tulo and Cargo would make 5 years from now and in so doing allocated 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 dollars that could have otherwise paid for “spare pieces” of significantly better quality than the folks you mention.

10 years of Tulo and Cargo and 75 wins, yippee.

Give me 4 years of Tulo and Cargo and Dan Uggla or David Wright.

• Doctor_Christopher | September 21, 2011 | 6:29 pm

Absolutely the Rox do not regret signing Tulo and CarGo and I dont believe the two regret signing here. We knew once August failure came that we would see lots of AAA and AA guys. We did not plan on seeing Tulo, CarGo and Helton get hurt. When things get bad, they tend to snowball in ways like we see right now. This team has no fight, but I do not think it has anything to do with next year or the future. Afterall, the Rox didnt keep winning when they got hot in April. The end of this year is this year. I still think folks need to be fired…but that will now be up to JT thanks to DOD and the Monforts decision to give staffing authority to JT.

Lets get the end of this season over with, watch some great playoff baseball (looks like it should be an interesting final 8, especially if either the Braves or BoSox give way to a hard charger). Then lets see what happens in hot stove, in rehab for DLR and Nicasio, and then get excited come next February.

One thing that does worry me from a fan perspective is that this team seems to do best when its not favoured, which means that pressure raises issues. The good news is that I doubt we will see the Rox picked higher than 3rd in the West next year.

What a disappointing May to September.

• Doctor_Christopher | September 21, 2011 | 6:32 pm

Oh and Prog, I think that the Monforts planned on raising the salary schedule going forward, they are not planning on this team being a 75 win team. It might be a 75 win team one out of three years, but I think the other year will be a playoff team, and the other year either a close finish or one of these disasters. I dont think we should over analyze this disaster. Its an injury plagued, AAA filed, pitching depleted last six weeks. It stinks to high heaven, but please folks, lets not run down the rest of the decade by assuming this is the future.

And if they had the money to go after Wandy R in August, then they can still add what they need to (David Wright, Pavano, etc.) if they become available.

• JimK | September 21, 2011 | 6:48 pm

Congratulations to the Rockies for finding even deeper lows this season. I won’t ever believe the hype in spring training again.

A very special award is due Dan O’Dowd for putting such a bunch of dysfunctional losers on the field (with a few exceptions we all can name) and to Jim Tracy for managing them with such amazing skill.

Okay, my sarcastic rant is over.

Go Cardinals!

At least when the playoffs start I can watch good baseball in hi-def, played by teams who CARE.

• Alex Colfax | September 21, 2011 | 6:50 pm

I’ve always liked David Wright, but he has had a terrible season on both offense and defense…and comes with a $15M salary.

As several others have already opined, I’m certain the Rox do not regret signing Tulo and Cargo to longterm deals. The converse, if the pair may regret signing those deals, is a far better question to ask.
    In fact, I made that exact query to a friend at today’s game.

If they hadn’t signed the dynamic duo, the fan base would rightly wonder which players the team planned to build around. There seem to be none on the horizon…maybe Nolan Arenado or Tim Wheeler, maybe Chad Bettis…but they’re hardly sure things. Neither is Fowler.

At least now, we have the opportunity to watch two of the best players in all of MLBB. No way O’Dowd/Monforts regret signing them.

• Ryan (the other one) | September 21, 2011 | 8:38 pm

No, the Rockies do not regret signing Tulo and Cargo. I don’t regret them doing so and neither should you.

Prog, I get your point, I think. Would you rather have Tulo and Cargo paid and locked up, knowing that we’ll have two studs here for a long time? Or instead have had the Rockies use that budget space on other pieces over the next few years, knowing Tulo and Cargo are stuck here anyway, and going big in the near term?

No matter how you answer that, it’s a valid trade-off and niether answer would be categorically right or wrong.

But the thing is, those extensions aren’t really costing the Rockies anything extra in these next few years. The Rockies are not paying them more in the short term. Tulo’s new contract doesn’t kick in until 2014. It’s a big extra commitment to be sure – and maybe we’ll be hating the extension in 2018 – but his 2011-2013 salaries are exactly the same as they were before the big extension.

Cargo’s getting an extra $1 million this year because he’d otherwise be making the near minimum of $400k and change this year. But starting next year, he’d have hit arbitration and gone huge. Maybe he wouldn’t have gotten Ryan Howard money in his first year ($10M), but he almost certainly would have gotten more than the $5.4 the Rockies will be paying him under the extension. What would have been his 2013 and 2014 arbitration years? Rockies are paying him just under $8M and just under $11M. Less than he likely would have gotten in arbitration or any short-term deal the Rockies might have worked out instead.

These two contracts are still sketchy in the long term – only time will tell if they end up being good or bad – but nothing happened in year 1 post-extension for either one of them that make things look bad right now.

And to your point, Prog, nothing about those extensions eats up any of the Rockies budget to add peices in the next few years either.

• Mike Raysfan | September 21, 2011 | 9:11 pm

Just more proof that can 2007 was in fact nothing more than an aberration

I find some of the comments interesting. Too bad no archive. I have been hard on Cook and the starting rotation in general over the last couple of seasons. I was told mire than one the rotation was fine. I was told more than once Cook was the man. Just recently I was even chastised over previous comments I made about him.

I guess I’m more than just frustrated yet I’m sure the Monfort’s will get more of my money.

• progmatinee | September 22, 2011 | 8:17 am

Ryan thanks for the information. If your information is correct, then that certainly mitigates some of my point, however, I think at the least the Cargo extension would have included a very significant signing bonus which would play to my point of somewhat emptying the wallet in the short term for the Monforts.

If the Tulo and Cargo contracts are already playing a role in the Monforts wanting to lower payroll for next year, then just imagine what will happen 2,4,6 years down the road when those 2 are making the real big money.

I just think the Monforts and O’Dowd should have been scrambling to win short term, especially before Todd’s retirement.

• egossage | September 22, 2011 | 8:41 am

I saw on MLB Trade Rumors that the Rockies will be looking to lower payroll next year.

“The Rockies will try to lower payroll by $4MM or so to the $83-84MM range this offseason and they may get partway there by dealing Chris Iannetta.”

As much I as want this season to end I’m a little nervous about seeing what this team will look like next year. Things aren’t looking to bright for us in the future, especially if we really are cutting payroll. I have a question for you guys that have been attending this past week. Have the Rockies fans at least been booing this horrible product on the baseball field or does everyone just seem fine with losing??? I really wish more Rockies fans were more hardcore baseball fans.

• progmatinee | September 22, 2011 | 8:50 am

I saw that too Eric.

If the Rockies need to lower payroll the second year into Tulo and Cargo’s extensions…AND considering Cook’s contract is off the books…AND that the Monforts are in no particular hurry to finish Todd’s final 2 years with a bang…it signals VERY BAD TIMES ahead for Rockies fans.

The only possible bright outlook is if you believe league minimum guys will begin producing more than we’ve seen in the past and if you believe in things like addition by subtraction (in regards to Cookie maybe thats viable.)

• konaman13 | September 22, 2011 | 8:55 am

I agree with you Ego, it seems that when I go (8-12 games) the majority of the fans are not there to really pay attention to the game. They have a good time visiting, drinking etc, but real tru fans (example the ones who stand up and take notice with 2 strikes or 2 outs)are far and few between.

• Alex Colfax | September 22, 2011 | 10:26 am

Agreed…most fans aren’t very discerning. They’ll boo more at an opposing pitcher throwing to first than at a poor Rockies’ play.

Last Saturday Street was booed vigorously after his awful performance, but that’s largely the exception. I heard very few boos yesterday. In that regard, little has changed since ’93…the vast majority are Rockies fans; few are real baseball fans.

Thankfully, this will never be a New York or Philadelphia with its hypercrtitical and truly obnoxious fans. But a happy median would be nice. Not enough fans see the team’s failings; they’re just happy to be at a nice ballpark enjoying a game. I believe that’s also why the media is so benevolent overall…too few care enough to complain. So we get this mediocrity most seasons.

• Liz | September 22, 2011 | 11:27 am

Hey Guys,

I have nothing more to add on this awful season and I cannot say I am really looking forward to next season either. However, with spring comes hope so I will be watching, hoping, and most probably bitching. Until then thank you all for voicing what I was thinking, or making me think about something else. Thank you Steve and gang for this website it is the best thing going with anything having to do with the Rocks.

• Tyler | September 22, 2011 | 12:27 pm

Who is the odd man out with Nelson, Stewart, Wiggington, Kouzmanoff, and Herrera this winter/spring?

• Doctor_Christopher | September 22, 2011 | 12:38 pm

Personally I dont think that MLB Trade Rumors knows anything, they are speculating. I have seen nothing from ownership or DOD that they are cutting payroll. We had the statement from the Monforts that DOD only has to have the team break-even, the are not looking to make any profit on the team year-to-year. Plus we have the decision to claim Wandy R and his $37 mill left. Last year I seem to recall ESPN rumors saying that the Rox would be cutting payroll, and instead they signed Tulo, CarGo, DLR, and Wiggy.

I know we are all in a rush to see what this team is going to look like Feb 15 when they report for Spring Training. But I wouldn’t give a nickle for anything being written right now. Take a look at most rumor sites and you will see that for every small market team they say they will look to cut payroll. They will also list Boston, NYT, the Mets, and the Phils to add payroll. That keeps their website with new “informatioon” until something real actually happens.

• Doctor_Christopher | September 22, 2011 | 12:54 pm

My goodness, this season’s end has made me very cynical. I appreciate DOD coming out yesterday with his comments. Would be nice the day after the season ends for the Monforts, DOD, and JT to hold a State of the Team conference, and give their wrap-up on 2011, what they think was positive, what was negative, generic plans for the off-season, and what things we should watch for next year.

The fans are really restless right now. Our state currently has perhaps the worst NHL Team, its major college football teams basically in a rebuild season, its football team deciding on its future QB, and its NBA team heading for China. The Rox have missed a chance to make this state a baseball first place. So, time to get ahead of the curve Rockie’s leadership. Give us hope, and we will be chomping at the bit for next Spring.

• Mike Raysfan | September 22, 2011 | 1:14 pm

Ego, I wasn’t there for the PADRES but I was for all the series up till then. As I posted before, the fans were NOT emotionally involved in the games. Yes there were “some” boos but nothing close to being really vocal. Not even close.

And if the Rockies lower the payroll by $4m???? To me it doesn’t mean squat. What did raising it this season get them?

• Miketober | September 22, 2011 | 2:06 pm

Ego, I agree with your sentiments about our fellow fans. I was at the 9-1 drubbing by SF, and there was little or no booing. I’ve been to 7 games this season, and only 1 time was I in a moderately “lively” section, and that was in LF when we played the Nats (my point being that it’s fun to heckle Johnny Gomes, and the Rox scored 15 runs that night). I don’t want rabid fans, or drunk opening day type fans, but I hate sitting in a dead section. Last year I went to 9 games and was in a dead section only once or twice, so the complacency seemed worse this year. Maybe others who go to more games can comment on that.

Anyway, I am completely in favor of more fan involvement, which includes more booing when it’s called for. What really bothers me is that I don’t get to that many games, so it’s a big deal for me and my son, and we are excited and want to make some noise. If we are surrounded by fuddy-duds, I get self conscious and tone it down, and that takes away from my own enjoyment. It’s not an opera, people, so get off your hands and support your team!

• Rich M | September 22, 2011 | 2:16 pm

Read the DanO comments about the 2012 payroll. To paraphrase that “…it could go up, it could go down, or it might be about the same as 2011.” Now I am no genius, but that means DanO should be running for political office instead of running a MLB team.

BTW the only truth in that answer is what he didn’t say and that is that 2012 WILL be a rebuilding year while reshaping the starting rotation with young rookies and returning injured starters that the Rockies already have. So in 2012 the Rockies will be looking to cut payroll with an eye to see if they can really compete for the playoffs by 2013.

Heck the goal for 2012 might be to just win a baseball game in the last two weeks of the regular season – that would be a refreshing change from 2010 and 2011!

• Agbayani | September 22, 2011 | 2:54 pm

Yeah, Rich. O’Dowd’s comment about not knowing which direction this club is going in the offseason is telling. Remember, when Ubaldo was traded he was adamant that they were not punting the 2012 season. I’m guessing he wants to get the players he thinks he needs to compete next year. But I’m also guessing that Charlie and the boys are none too happy about giving away millions of bucks of their profit to the likes of Jose Lopez and Ty Wigginton in exchange for the 6th worst record in baseball. So Dan probably really doesn’t know what they’ll let — or make — him do this winter.

• progmatinee | September 22, 2011 | 3:13 pm

IMO the losing streak at the end of last year and the end of this year were really catastrophic for that very reason of uncertainty.

Going from 1 game out to 9 games in a blink of an eye and *gulp* 19 back this year (19? 19! oh my god, how can it be 19!!!!!),…

These past 2 Septembers are being used to justify luke warm commitment from management.

If they simply played respectable games late in the season rather than completely laying down maybe they’d be ready to commit.