Report: Rockies sign infielder Brandon Wood

November 17, 2011 | 5:30 pm | 14

FoxSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Colorado Rockies have signed infielder Brandon Wood. Once considered one of the top prospects in the game with the Los Angeles Angels, Wood has struggled with strikeouts in the majors. He was claimed off waivers last summer by the Pittsburgh Pirates, for whom Wood hit .220 with seven home runs and 31 RBI in 99 games.

Wood had been outrighted by the Pirates this offseason.

Jon Heyman of SI.com adds that Wood will make $100,000 over the major-league minimum if he makes the team. Heyman also reports that the Rockies have been getting some interest in Ian Stewart from other clubs.

• egossage | November 17, 2011 | 5:34 pm

Oh boy! Another failed prospect! Dat a boy Dan!

• Julian | November 17, 2011 | 7:03 pm

Is this a minor league contract or is he taking up a spot on the 40 man roster?

On another topic, other than Arenado, has any other Rockies’ prospect helped himself this fall? Hurt himself this fall?

• Brandon | November 17, 2011 | 8:05 pm

I think this guy has true upside

• progmatinee | November 17, 2011 | 8:16 pm

yawn, is this the big FA signing of the year?

• Agbayani | November 17, 2011 | 9:18 pm

The right-handed Ian Stewart!

As awful as he’s been, right now he would be the best in-house 3B candidate. And that’s not a good thing.

If I were a betting man, I’d give Stewart a better chance of being an average third baseman next year. But I have to admit it’s close …

• GARY | November 18, 2011 | 3:35 am

Come on guys,his “production” dwarfs Stewerts!

• egossage | November 18, 2011 | 6:56 am

Only last years “production”. I think I’d rather have Stewart

• miketober | November 18, 2011 | 7:16 am

He will be like every other Rockie proapect. He will be lights out for about 2 weeks, and then he will revert to his .220 high strike out rate true self.

• Rich M | November 18, 2011 | 7:28 am

Do I see a Stewart/Wood platoon developing at third base hmmm? Or is the Wood signing just the cost savings version of Kouzmanoff. When combined Stewart/Wood strikeouts hit 30% of ABs, then we will probably see another dramatic third base move – just my guess.

• rockymountainhigh | November 18, 2011 | 9:15 am

I see Nolan Arenado winning 3B job out of ST. That will make this thread a moot point. Laugh at me all you want but I net I’ll have the last laugh come Deptember. His RISP hitting has been impressive at all levels. It’s no wonder why he’s in Las Vegas now working with Tulo and Giambi.

• Julian | November 18, 2011 | 10:28 am

Regarding RMH’s post, what’s the deal in regard to holding a player in the minors past a certain date to put off his free agency by a year? Isn’t that what the Giants did with Buster Posey two years ago? Given the current group of 3Bs, it wouldn’t be inconceivable for Arenado to be the best player at spring training, but the team for other reasons may want him to spend some more time in the minors.

Regarding Agbayani’s post, maybe Pacheco’s a better in house candidate.

Wood’s numbers look bad. Assuming from the comments that he is a righty, does he at leat have a decent split against lefties? What kind of a fielder is he?

• rockies_crazy | November 18, 2011 | 11:32 am

Julian
    If I remember right by keeping a minor leaguer down for more than half a season it reduces the chance he will be a Super 2 and be eligable for arbatration in two year rather than the standard three.
    It is a fairly comon cost saving pratice around baseball.

• rockies_crazy | November 18, 2011 | 11:33 am

knowing the Rockies I expect Arenado to be up right after that date passes

• Agbayani | November 18, 2011 | 10:48 pm

Julian, re: Wood’s splits.

Major league career: he’s been equally pathetic against both righties and lefties. I was hoping you were on to something — maybe he’s one of those Olmedo Saenz guys who can only hit lefties. Afraid not.

Once in a blue moon one of these blue chip prospects who’s failed miserably at the major league level will be a late bloomer. Wood isn’t that old yet, so it’s worth taking a flyer on him. But he’s an extreme longshot to say the least.