Pomeranz, Arenado top BA’s list of Rockies prospects

December 1, 2011 | 10:26 am | 23

Baseball America and Jack Etkin released their 2012 list of the top 10 Colorado Rockies prospects. The list has seen significant changes since 2011, when it was topped by left-hander Tyler Matzek and included Christian Friedrich, Peter Tago and Hector Gomez, all of whom have fallen out of the top 10 in 2012. The 2011 list also saw two graduations to the major leagues, left-handed reliever Rex Brothers and right-handed starter Juan Nicasio.

The 2012 top 10:

1. Drew Pomeranz, LHP
2. Nolan Arenado, 3B
3. Chad Bettis, RHP
4. Wilin Rosario, C
5. Tim Wheeler, OF
6. Trevor Story, SS/3B
7. Tyler Anderson, LHP
8. Kent Matthes, OF
9. Kyle Parker, OF
10. Josh Rutledge, SS

Read more here. BA subscribers can access scouting reports here.

• Julian | December 1, 2011 | 2:06 pm

If this list had been put together a week later after Chatwood was a Rockie, would he bump one of these guys and be in the top 10?

• Steve Foster | December 1, 2011 | 2:12 pm

Chatwood wouldn’t qualify for the list anyway because he’s no longer a rookie. But he was ranked No. 2 before last year for the Angels.

• rockymountainhigh | December 1, 2011 | 3:38 pm

I also assume Alex White is no longer a rookie to be in the top 10 list. Correct?

• rockymountainhigh | December 1, 2011 | 3:40 pm

Nice to see Tyler Anderson & Trevor Story, our most recent top picks make it to the top 10.

• Steve Foster | December 1, 2011 | 3:47 pm

You are correct on White. No longer a rookie.

• Julian | December 1, 2011 | 5:23 pm

Who would be in the next 10?

• Brandon | December 1, 2011 | 7:35 pm

Top 5 will be studs for the rox

• heybatterbatterswing | December 1, 2011 | 9:36 pm

All I can say is nice job by the scouts that drafted these players, those still with the club and those who were let go by the club.

• Robb | December 2, 2011 | 6:28 am

I think this might be the year we see KyleArker make a big move up the ladder.

• Wayne | December 2, 2011 | 9:08 am

My pick to make it as an impact player (not pitcher) the soonest would be Rutledge. I predict he will take over the starting 2B job in 2013. You read it here first.

• rockymountainhigh | December 2, 2011 | 9:23 am

My pick is Nolan Arenado at 3B to make the soonest impact.

• Julian | December 2, 2011 | 9:57 am

I agree with Wayne that Rutledge will be the Rockies’ starting second baseman at some point in 2013 (maybe not at the beginning of the year, if for no other reason than to put off free agency one year).

• Wayne | December 2, 2011 | 10:31 am

Arenado and Rutledge will be neck and neck, hopefully they both arrive and impact together to start the 2013 season.

• rockymountainhigh | December 2, 2011 | 3:45 pm

I think Nolan Arenado will be Opening Day 3B, barring any major acquisition. That’s why he is my choice.

• Mike Raysfan | December 2, 2011 | 8:24 pm

Personally I don’t get all that excited about BA rankings. I guess it could be used as a current snapshot of things. Nothing more. It wasn’t all that long ago when a certain 3B prospect was ranked 4th overall. Yep, 4th on the 100 top prospect list. Now many on here wouldn’t give him the time of day.

What has happened with Friedrich? It wasn’t that long ago when many thought he was da man. Prog, you know I caught stuff on another site because I never got on his bandwagon. I guess working out with Mike Hampton hasn’t helped him much. Hopefully he will come around and develop into the pitcher many thought he could be.

• heybatterbatterswing | December 2, 2011 | 10:39 pm

Lets get it straight on BA prospects those names are given to the writer by the club and then BA tweeks the names ie: why isn’t Freidrich in the top 10. BA manuvers the players around on what they have heard good or bad. In other words you can’t have a guy like Parker Frazier 7th rder ahead of a guy like Tyler Anderson ( even though he hasn’t done anything). Its all political.

• Agbayani | December 3, 2011 | 9:00 am

heybatterswing, you make a decent point. The BA rankings are what they are. Yet they’re interesting because of the insight they give us about the club’s own thinking. If Parker Frazier is higher than we’d expect, that tells us that the club is higher on Parker Frazier than we thought. And that’s interesting to me. Not necessarily a huge deal, but interesting.

• heybatterbatterswing | December 4, 2011 | 11:37 am

One has to understand that all Major League Clubs look at these prospect lists and in some cases the clubs hide some of their prospects, not the name guys but the sleepers. This way the other clubs don’t view them as highly.

• progmatinee | December 4, 2011 | 12:06 pm

thats why they never mention my name.

• Jack Etkin | December 4, 2011 | 9:09 pm

heybatter,

I didn’t get a list from the Rockies. I spoke with people inside and outside the organization and put together a list. BA talks to scouting sources, has its own information and makes changes, which I would not term major and which they have every right to do. You’re giving the Rockies and other clubs too much say in the process.

• Agbayani | December 6, 2011 | 7:07 am

Jack, thanks for explaining. But one little thing has made me wonder about the BA rankings more than anything else. Back about 7 years ago, I recall seeing the BA team lists for “best speed, best fastball,” etc.
    Jim Miller (after his fantastic Tri-Cities debut) was listed as having the “best slider.” Fast forward several years and Miller is released, then picked up by the Rockies org again. Now he’s described as having a “plus fastball, but lacking any good secondary pitch.” Huh? I know the writers can’t see every player (really, Pasco, Washington? You’ve got to rely on the team’s minor league development guys and coaches for that), but I learned not to put much stock in those evaluations of low minors guys …

• Jack Etkin | December 6, 2011 | 7:14 pm

Agbayani,

I remember when the Rockies traded Miller to the Orioles for Rodrigo Lopez in Jan. 2007, after Miller spent all of ’06 at Tulsa (where he finished the ’05 season), one of the Rockies scouts told me that Miller threw hard but had no feel for pitching _ i.e., secondary stuff was badly lacking.

• Agbayani | December 6, 2011 | 9:03 pm

Thanks, Jack.

I was just getting into seriously following Rockies prospects during Miller’s fantastic 2004 debut in Tri-Cities (15 K/9). That wound up teaching me a valuable lesson: don’t get carried away when a guy is old for his league …