Rockies interested in Japanese infielder

December 2, 2011 | 10:35 am | 8

FoxSports.com reports that the Colorado Rockies are interested in free-agent Japanese infielder Kensuke Tanaka. Tanaka, 30, missed much of the last season with a broken bone in his ankle. Tanaka is a left-handed hitter who can steal bases and walks more than he strikes out.

• Ike | December 2, 2011 | 11:46 am

Very intriguing OBP if it were to translate, but again does nothing to address the core design flaw of the roster. This is a signing I will root for, but not at the expense of real moves.

• Agbayani | December 2, 2011 | 8:58 pm

I wasn’t aware until now that baseballreference now has Japanese league stats.

Sorry, but the story isn’t impressive. Career line of .293/.371/.396, a 768 OPS. Japan ball is generally thought to be kind of a AAAA league, so you’d have to discount those stats a bit in translating to a major league baseball line. And that leaves you with kind of a utility infielder line. Still, it’s better than Herrera, and probably better than EY Jr. too. But that’s not praise for this guy; it’s a reality check regarding his in-house competition.

• Mike Raysfan | December 2, 2011 | 9:14 pm

Not to worry Ag. The story has already been squashed.

“Japanese second baseman Kensuke Tanaka will remain in Japan, reports Jon Paul Morosi of Fox Sports”

• Agbayani | December 2, 2011 | 9:34 pm

I just say a similar story on a Japanese SS named Kawasaki and the Seattle Mariners. I can’t top this comment on baseballreference — just substitute “Rockies” for “Mariners” –

“He’d fit in nicely with the Mariners.

Good glove, not much of a hitter (~.730 OPS in Japan since ’07), doesn’t draw walks, doesn’t hit for power, reasonable speed, 30 years old. I’m surprised they haven’t already signed him.”

Ouch.

• Pooter | December 5, 2011 | 12:47 pm

I wonder if Jimmy Rollins would play second base? Sign Jimmy long term like he wants to play second base. There is your leadoff hitter and second basemen!!! Two desperate needs!!!!! Also, if O’Dowd would like a fixer upper go sign Eric Chavez to play 3rd base!!

• Rich M | December 5, 2011 | 3:15 pm

Pooter – where would EY2 play in that scenario?

• Pooter | December 6, 2011 | 12:17 pm

Pinch runner/ back up outfielder. I like EYJ but I am also not blind to the fact that they could do much better than him at 2B our out field. Do I think he disserves a shot over people like: Herrera, Nelson, Smith, and Spilly, yes I do. But I would love to see an upgrade at those positions instead.

• Pooter | December 6, 2011 | 12:18 pm

Meant to say: “Pinch runner/ back up outfielder and 2B.”