Spilborghs, Garner non-tendered by Rockies

December 12, 2011 | 8:13 pm | 11

Outfielders Ryan Spilborghs and Cole Garner will not be tendered contracts by the Colorado Rockies the team announced Monday. Both players will become free agents.

The Rockies did offer contracts to other arbitration-eligible players, outfielders Seth Smith and Dexter Fowler. The team also agree to terms on a one-year contract with right-handed pitcher Kevin Slowey, who was acquired from the Minnesota Twins last week.

• Pooter | December 13, 2011 | 9:13 am

Now I see on MLBTradeRumors that the Rockies are also pursuing Carlos Beltran along with Cuddyer. The Rockies better come away with one of these two free agents. I’m not sure who I would prefer.

• Pooter | December 13, 2011 | 9:26 am

Also saw that ah McGehee (Brewers) was traded for a Pirates run of the mill relief pitcher. Why could’t Street have been traded for McGehee? Yeah McGehee had a bad year last year but has had 2 good years before that. Oh well, its not like the Rockies need a power bat that plays the corner infield positions……..

• Wayne | December 13, 2011 | 9:50 am

Pooter, I thought the same thing when the Brewers signed Ramirez. If MaGahee was available why not go after him. It’s not like we don’t have about 32 run of the mill relievers and 78 outfielders. Surely we could have given them one of each.

• Julian | December 13, 2011 | 10:09 am

What will it cost to sign Beltran?

And why aren’t we hearing any rumors relating to starting pitchers?

• progmatinee | December 13, 2011 | 11:02 am

Well, I would guess the stable is pretty full of pitchers right now.

Of course none of the pitchers in the stable are extremely good pitchers…but I think this is your 2012 selection.

I think its proven with the Ubaldo trade that the Rockies do not have an interest in investing too much on pitchers. Nor should they if pitchers keep breaking down for whatever reason in Colorado.

As long as they spend heavily on the lineup I’m okay with them being frugal on SPs.

It actually won’t surprise me too much if the Rockies trade Chacin at some point soon if his value is high enough.

If I was GM I would hold off on a big pitcher until the middle of the season and if we are in contention make the move then for a rental. I no longer trust long term contracts for pitchers here after I see what happened to Cook.

Hitters on the otherhand…spend away, I say!

• Rocky | December 13, 2011 | 11:19 am

sorry to be so out of touch, but is ITR going away?

• progmatinee | December 13, 2011 | 11:34 am

Yes, Rocky. :( please see the link near the top of the front page right below the ITR logo.

• Rocky | December 13, 2011 | 11:59 am

bummer, gonna miss this site and all the regulars much

• Mike Raysfan | December 13, 2011 | 1:36 pm

Spilly probably won’t go anywhere. He’s plan B. I’m willing to go out on a limb and say the Rockies will sign him for a discounted rate.

• rockymountainhigh | December 13, 2011 | 3:05 pm

I say find a way to partner up with Angels for Trumbo or Kendry Morales.

• Doc | December 14, 2011 | 9:37 am

Stay tuned Rocky, a new site is in the works.