Rockies reportedly going after Carlos Beltran

December 13, 2011 | 10:09 am | 30

Sweet!

The Colorado Rockies, a surprise player for top free agents, are making a push for star outfielder Carlos Beltran. The Rockies would like to sign either Beltran or Michael Cuddyer for the outfield.

Colorado has competition for Cuddyer, who was offered $25 million over three years by the incumbent Twins. Minnesota is still hoping to re-sign Cuddyer.
Beltran’s market has been something of a mystery, but it is believed Colorado would go two years to add him to the middle of their lineup, where he’d combine with Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez.

Beltran’s knee history is a concern to many teams, but he played without knee trouble last year whe he produced for both the Mets and Giants.

The Cardinals have been rumored to be another possible suitor for Beltran, who is still only 33.

• Wayne | December 13, 2011 | 11:04 am

Go get him. If he can stay healthy like last year this is a definite impact bat.

• Mike Raysfan | December 13, 2011 | 1:43 pm

LMAO this stuff cracks me up. Now the Rockies are making a “push” for Beltran … hahahaha Yep, there are so many other teams trying to sign him.

Yesterday Mr. O’Dowd told ESPN/MLB Networks the Rockies had NOT made an offer to Cuddyer. Jon Heyman is reporting the Rockies are the highest bidder. I guess a lot must be happening this morning!!!

I guess Scutaro is no longer a consideration? Maybe that was nothing more than over zealous twitter fingers?

• progmatinee | December 13, 2011 | 2:12 pm

IMO GMs and coaches are flat out liars.

How many times do you hear people like Urban Meyer deny being offered a job by OSU and then the next day is hired…this happens all the time.

I don’t understand the DENY, DENY, DENY, DENY, ADMIT thing.

Just tell the truth. What’s wrong with admitting the truth: an offer is on the table but has yet to be accepted. Is honesty so hard for people in the sports world?

• Miketober | December 13, 2011 | 3:21 pm

Let’s score some runs next year, dammit!!!

• Alex Colfax | December 13, 2011 | 3:39 pm

Does anyone here really believe Rox will actually sign Beltran? Or Cuddyer? They can “target” or “focus on” any player but those actions never seem to lead anywhere.

I hope I’m wrong but we’ve all seen this act before.

• egossage | December 13, 2011 | 4:27 pm

I don’t believe for one second Alex.

• Jaredean | December 13, 2011 | 4:30 pm

Hopefull all of this hype is more than the 2010 michael young hype. Boy how I wish that had come true last year, the way he played.

• Mike Raysfan | December 13, 2011 | 5:41 pm

Now that the Twins have signed Willingham we will see what happens.

• progmatinee | December 13, 2011 | 5:55 pm

Genius move by the Twins. Basically they get the same player as Cuddyer plus 2 draft picks when he signs elsewhere. These are the type of things to maximize ROI O’Dowd sorely needs to take lessons on.

• rox4brains | December 13, 2011 | 6:28 pm

MLB.com, “The switch-hitting Beltran, who turns 35 on April 24, is a career .283 hitter with a .361 on-base percentage. He’s amassed 302 home runs and 1,146 RBIs. In 25 career games at Coors Field, Beltran has hit .276 with six home runs, 24 RBIs, nine doubles and a triple. He has compiled an .880 OPS at Coors, as well.”

• progmatinee | December 13, 2011 | 6:52 pm

In the 5 or 6, man oh man that would be good. Little concern over health but on a 3 year deal (btw make sure you purchase the insurance policy this time DanO unlike on Jorge), make it happen!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agbayani | December 13, 2011 | 7:03 pm

Prog, does the article suggest a 3-year deal? I hope not.

I was thinking Beltran would be a perfectly reasonable gamble on a 1 year contract. Three? With his injury history and age, I sure hope not.

And prog, is that the way the new free agent compensation system works — you gain sandwich picks for losing a guy, but don’t forfeit picks for signing a guy? If so, I agree with you — genius move by the Twins. If not (that is, the Twins lose the same number of picks they gain) it’s a wash.

Now why can’t we think of stuff like that?

• progmatinee | December 13, 2011 | 7:14 pm

If I understand correctly, they have two tiers of A types.

The higher tier the signing team loses a pick and the losing team gets that pick and a Supplementary pick.

The lower tier the signers don’t give up a pick but the losing team gets 2 picks.

I think B types the losing team still gets 1 pick???

For Beltran I’d go three, but I’d also go 2. IMO a 1 year contract doesn’t do us much good. At that point may as well just give the spot to Spilborghs.

• Ryan | December 13, 2011 | 7:22 pm

Beltran would be a great fit in the 5 spot. Forgive me if I’m pessimistic about it actually happening.

• Sedin | December 13, 2011 | 7:42 pm

Renck now tweeting that if Rox fail to land either Cuddyer or Beltran, they’ll turn to Cody Ross or Gomes, a huge qualitative drop-off.

And to answer Alex’s question: nope, include me among the doubters that relatively big names like Beltran or Cuddyer will ever sign here. Let’s hope O’Dowd finally surprises us in a positive manner. After all, we keep hearing how much payroll has been shed; it’s about time the team keeps faith with fans who have supported this team well.

And one other thing…I cannot understand how Millwood has not yet been re-signed. That’s a no-brainer, isn’t it? A veteran you know who will give you innings at the back of the rotation?

• Agbayani | December 13, 2011 | 7:52 pm

Sedin, no reason Beltran wouldn’t want to sign here, particularly if he’s feeling confident about his health and wants to reestablish his value on a 1-year deal.

As for Ross and Gomes: I suspect that’s what we’ll actually be seeing.

Can anyone say Wigginton and Lopez?

• steve c | December 13, 2011 | 8:45 pm

Beltran (if healthy and confident as noted above) signing a 1 year deal here would be akin to Adrian Beltre’s 1 year deal with the Red Sox in 2010. That deal worked out great for Beltre. Who is Beltran’s agent?

• Sedin | December 13, 2011 | 9:32 pm

Dan Lozano is Beltran’s agent; he is also Pujols’ agent.

Agbayani, I’m not questioning Beltran’s interest. I’d love to see him here, I’m just dubious of O’Dowd actually getting the job done, especially if Cards and other teams are also interested.

• Mike Raysfan | December 13, 2011 | 10:38 pm

Interesting stuff but the TOTAL lack of interest in Beltran during the winter meetings was a story line by the MLB TV crew. So the word now is there are teams lining up to sign Beltran? really?

Could it be he wants too much? My memory is not great but I think they said it would have cost the Giants about $18m a year for 2 yrs with an option for the 3rd. How will Rockies fans react mid-season when/if the Rockies dish out $36M+ and that player doesn’t work out?

If he is healthy and ready to go then why would a team desperate for hiting not re-sign him?

• SteveinAurora | December 13, 2011 | 10:59 pm

Mike,
    Because they’re trying to figure out how to retain their pitchers. Seems like one of the guys on Foxsports actually floated a story re: the possibility of the Gnats trading Lincecum to free up some funds for the other pitchers and some additional offense a couple of weeks ago.

• progmatinee | December 14, 2011 | 7:02 am

Wow. I don’t think Beltran gets THAT much (at least from the Rockies). That’s Matt Holliday money. I can see Beltran getting $10m per.

• Mike Raysfan | December 14, 2011 | 10:04 am

Prog I will go the Giants site and see if I can find the info. I think that was the biggest reason the Giants didn’t sign him. The alleged belief was he wanted that kind of money.

Think about it. Why else was he not even a conversation piece during the winter meetings. The Giants need hitting badly. If they thought he would be cost effective they would have signed him.

• Mike Raysfan | December 14, 2011 | 10:09 am

From Baseball reference:

2011: age 34 – Team NY Mets – Salary $19,325,436 – NOTES: $4M paid by the Mets

• Steve C | December 14, 2011 | 11:40 am

I could see a 1 year deal – base = 8M. More than 400 AB’s = 10M. More than 500 AB’s = 12M.

The money Beltran wants makes the Cuddyer +/- 9M a year seem reasonable by comparison!

• drrockies | December 14, 2011 | 1:33 pm

you are going to have to offer him at least 2 years plus on option for a 3rd I think or he is going to look elsewhere. We have already seen the Rox under offer players and they go elsewhere. Do the right thing but don’t go overboard…not at that age.

• Luke | December 14, 2011 | 4:00 pm

Here’s an idea: why not go after the Cuban, Yoennis Cespedes? Beltran is old and his knees are shot. Cuddyer is a slightly better (5 more HRs a year) Seth Smith. It will probably take $30 Mill to get either of these guys. If you are willing to pay them $30 Mill, why not a pay a little more and get a guy who is younger, definitely a better glove, and has a ton more upside? This dude could be a superstar, and if you could get him for say, 5 years $50 mill, I think that would be a good deal. If it is much more than that then they probably have to let him pass. But I just don’t get paying Cuddyer that much when he really isn’t much better than Smith and Smith makes like 1/20th what Cuddyer would.

P.S. FIRE DAN O’DOWD!

• Mike Raysfan | December 14, 2011 | 4:53 pm

Hey drrockies! How the hec is Miami? You should drive by the new ballpark while your down there.

I think you might be right. It sounds much like my earlier post. Mininum 2 yrs with an optional 3rd. In fact, the national guys are saying the 3rd year is the sticking point with signing him.

• SteveinAurora | December 14, 2011 | 5:08 pm

Meanwhile, the Indians are reportedly big on signing Jose Lopez.

Good luck to them…

• Ryan | December 14, 2011 | 5:34 pm

Go get Cespedes, maybe he turns out to be Pedro Cerrano.

• Mike Raysfan | December 16, 2011 | 6:43 pm

Hey SteveinAurora, I know you mentioned the Giants were trying to lockup their pitchers. Did you see what Lincecum and Cain want? Yikes. I just don’t see the Giants doing an 8yr deal with Lincecum.