Why not trade for the King?
While it is true that the Rockies no longer have a true starting ACE MLB starting pitcher (Ubaldo was for maybe half a season), it may not be impossible to acquire one if you are willing to pay the price. Felix Hernandez aka King could be available because he plays for the Mariners for a minimum of three more years and is becoming somewhat pricey for a team that is no where near the playoffs while competing with the Rangers and Angels in the AL West.
However it takes a King’s ransom to acquire King Felix, but why not give it a shot:
1. Rosario (#3 Rockie prospect but I have some doubts here)
2. White (#6 Rockie prospect but maybe expendable if Bettis and Gardner remain a starters).
3. Parker (#7 Rockie prospect with only ok MILB stats so far).
4. Smith (solid veteran OF bat and because he is in every trade mentioned so far this off season).
5. EY2 (because the Mariners love speed in that ball park).
Not sure that list would be enough for the Mariners, but it should get the conversation started? While none of those players listed figures to have a huge impact for the Rockies in 2012, King Felix would be the Rockies ace over the next three years while Tulo and Cargo are in the prime years of their contracts.
One last time – I get to write this – WhatduyuThink?