Why not trade for the King?

December 22, 2011 | 9:31 am | 15

While it is true that the Rockies no longer have a true starting ACE MLB starting pitcher (Ubaldo was for maybe half a season), it may not be impossible to acquire one if you are willing to pay the price.  Felix Hernandez aka King could be available because he plays for the Mariners for a minimum of three more years and is becoming somewhat pricey for a team that is no where near the playoffs while competing with the Rangers and Angels in the AL West.

However it takes a King’s ransom to acquire King Felix, but why not give it a shot:

1. Rosario (#3 Rockie prospect but I have some doubts here)

2. White (#6 Rockie prospect but maybe expendable if Bettis and Gardner remain a starters).

3. Parker (#7 Rockie prospect with only ok MILB stats so far).

4. Smith (solid veteran OF bat and because he is in every trade mentioned so far this off season).

5. EY2 (because the Mariners love speed in that ball park).

Not sure that list would be enough for the Mariners, but it should get the conversation started?  While none of those players listed figures to have a huge impact for the Rockies in 2012, King Felix would be the Rockies ace over the next three years while Tulo and Cargo are in the prime years of their contracts.

One last time – I get to write this – WhatduyuThink?

• Dj | December 22, 2011 | 10:11 am

I love the idea, but I don’t think that package would come close to prying King Felix away. A 25 year old with a Cy Young award to his name who has two years left on his 78 million dollar contract? On the flip side I don’t think the Monforts would be willing to have that much money wrapped up in one pitcher.
    I think it would be more along the lines of:
    Chacin; Pomeranz; Arenado and Blackmon to get the conversation started. No way the Rockies give up that much. No way the Mariners let him get away for anything less.

• Rich M | December 22, 2011 | 11:17 am

I get your points, however the Mariners have enough pitching, they would be looking for position players (as well as a replacement starter) at least that’s my theory. King Felix will easily be worth that remaining contract during the next three years, so I don’t see the money as the major issue here.

• Anonymous | December 22, 2011 | 11:32 am

Pomeranz, Wheeler, Arenado might get it started. What would it take for Jair? He’s pretty dang good.

• progmatinee | December 22, 2011 | 11:50 am

I don’t see why the Rockies would trade their homegrown player in Ubaldo for prospects to then turn around and trade those prospects AND their own 2 best prospects for Felix. That wouldn’t really make any sense from their perspective.

If you compare what the Rockies were unwilling to do back in 2008 not trading Ian Stewart and Chacin for Cliff Lee I don’t see why they’d trade Arenado and Pomeranz in a package for Felix especially when the short term outlook for the team is decidedly worse than it was obviously coming off the WS.

What I think is more realistic is seeing where we are at the AS break and then buying a rental for some combination of Matzek, White, Blackmon, Parker or Wheeler.

Pomeranz, Chacin and Arenado you’d have to be bowled over to even come close to consider trading.

• drrockies | December 22, 2011 | 12:11 pm

I don’t see trading 2 or 3 of your current/future starters for (albiet a good one) one pitcher who by profession sits one pitch away from potential tommy john surgery. I certainly understand that you have to give up some talent to get talent but I guess at the end of the day you have to decide at what price. I know stockpiling mediocre talent isn’t going to get er done.

• Mike Raysfan | December 22, 2011 | 12:40 pm

I wouldn’t get caught up with Rosenthal’s tweets. Based on what their GM is saying I’m willing to bet they would want a HEFTY price for him.

““I still say, as I’ve said all along, we’ve still got the best young pitcher in the game, and that’s pretty darned good,” Zduriencik said.”

• konaman | December 23, 2011 | 2:18 pm

Heck why not pickup Prince why we’re at it!!!

• the postman | December 23, 2011 | 5:47 pm

Can anyone verify the Seth Smith trade?

• Mike Raysfan | December 23, 2011 | 6:19 pm

I can’t. Rosenthal is tweeting about the A’s. I haven’t checked Renck. MLB.com says the following: “Smith to Braves still possible, the Braves are still looking for a trade partner for utility man Martin Prado.”

So much for what GM Wren said.

• Mike Raysfan | December 23, 2011 | 6:31 pm

postman can you narrow it down? Are refering to earlier tweets regarding Wade Davis? That would be tough for me. That coupled with the fact he wouldn’t be cheap.

1) Rays own him for six years for $34.1 million

2) he’s guaranteed $9.1M through 2014

3) he has options through ’17 worth about $25M.

I’m not sure the Rockies would be willing to spend that much considering what they spent on Cuddyer

• Rich M | December 23, 2011 | 8:01 pm

For innings eating type starting pitcher without a no trade clause, that’s affordable. Heck I think they were looking at $8-$10m per year for W Rodriguez.

• steve c | December 24, 2011 | 8:05 am

As Prog said, trading for King Felix 6 months after dealing Ubaldo makes no sense.

Wade Davis – yes. Jair Jurrgens(sorry if misspelled) – yes. I would even revisit Wandy Rodriquez since Houston has a new Owner and GM.

First thing I would do is secure Martin Prado. A batting order of:

1. Dex
    2. Prado
    3. Cargo
    4. Tulo
    5. Helton
    6. Cuddyer
    7. Hernandez/Rosario
    8. Blake/Wood until Arenado arrives

is not too shabby. Slide Cuddyer to 1st on Helton’s off days (which their should be more) and play Colvin. It’s a nice lineup. If you have to give up more than desirable (the market is the market, like it or not) to get Prado, resign Millwood and go:

Chacin
    Millwood
    Pomeranz
    winner of Chatwood/Slowey/White derby
    Hammel

Slide DLR in for the weak link in July.

This scenario should also leave some $$$$ on the table for a deadline trade if the guys are playing well. Remember, we freed +/- 22M per year, and essentially have only re-committed 10M (Cuddyer) per year.

• Andrew T. Fisher | December 27, 2011 | 6:59 am

Why not trade for Felix? Mat Latos and Gio Gonzalez, that’s why. The number 3, 6, 7 prospects and two pieces DOD wants to get rid of is not going to cut it. At all. You’re looking more at Chacin, Fowler, Pomeranz, Arenado type haul, the kind that would lay waste to our farm. That, and he is earning over $19million the next three years, which is now impossible to work into the budget with Cuddyer in town.

• Rich M | December 27, 2011 | 8:03 am

Thanks Andrew, my somewhat awkward point here is that Rockies fans have to stop dreaming about CJ Wilson and Kuroda type starters signing on as free agents at Coors Field, because if the Rockies are to acquire a #1 or #2 starting pitcher it will either be by way of a trade or developed through the draft.

I also agree with you so far as the market for elite starting pitchers this off season is extremely pricey to put it mildly. Thanks for the post here at ITR – you will probably see more of me over there at Purple Row, when this site shuts down.

• Eric W. | December 27, 2011 | 12:02 pm

I would worry about acquiring Martin Prado from the Braves first then go get an innings eating starting pitcher then resign Kevin Millwood and sign Cody Ross and Brad Lidge to 1 Year Deals with incentives.. I doubt the Rockies would ever give up Kyle Parker or Wilin Rosario.